• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Wood Stock Repair/Staining

SandwichTsunami

Default rank <1000 posts Supporter
High Speed Sandwich Operator
135   0
Reaction score
Have a 03A3/4 C-stock that has a gouge in it that I'd like to repair. Looked at a few "fill-in" options but looking for someone with experience to weigh in. Also looking to get the hand guard closer to matching as the c-stock is significantly darker.

Attachments

• IMG_4865.jpg
    IMG_4865.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_4864.jpg
    IMG_4864.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 41
Wet bath cloth and a soldering iron will do it just don’t get it to hot at time! They make a stock iron that I use to raise dents with but soldering iron will work!@ blip does fine work on stocks and get with him and you won’t have to worry with it!

I'm with Muleshoe unless it is a true gouge in his broken the grain of the wood. If the wood is broken oh, that is the grain is completely cracks through or it has a chip missing there's only two options fill, or sand to the depth of the gouge. But before I did that I think I would work on what you're going to do color-wise. It really depends on the wood. You can always make light wood darker but you can't always make dark wood lighter and that of course will affect how you address the gouge. Patience is the biggest thing and having a plan is important but always be aware that sometimes things don't work out as you planned so you better have a backup.

I have a couple different kinds of wood filler I have a synthetic which matches color perfectly but you have to mix it and then there's the old saw dust and adhesive method which is preferable but that means you're doing sanding so I'm not really answering your question exactly.
If this is your first time doing it and it's a really nice firearm that you really respect and want the best you might want to find someone to do it for you.
:becky:

Okay I took a look at the picture as best I could on my phone in that's definitely not just a scratch it's pretty much a gouge. I would try steaming a little bit first but I don't think you're going to get the results you desire.

Instead of a soldering iron I do like to use a flat iron, one preferably that has Steam, you can control the temperature and that is critical to not discoloring the wood. I've seen plenty of guys do it with soldering irons I just prefer the way I was taught

Back
Top Bottom