• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Winch Question

WinstonSmith

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Garthok Narfler
85   0
Reaction score
Alright all. Got me a quandary.

I have an F250 Diesel Crew Cab. With my steel bumper, bed canopy, equipment and my fat butt I'm over 10k gross vehicle weight. I have a 2" receiver on my front, heavy duty steel bumper (it's a beast) and a 2 1/2" receiver on rear.

I would prefer the winch to be mounted to a carrier that has a 2 1/2" receiver connection and use a reducer if I need to attach to front. I can always chain the mount to an adjacent tree if it's more weight than the 2" receiver can handle as long as I have a suitable length power connection. And the carrier can be chained to keep the pull correctly.

This will also allow me to attach to my jeep receiver and Sequoia if need be.

But, this poses problems. First off, it's got to be light enough for me to switch between vehicles and move around. Looking at the synthetic rope options instead of steel wire rope to reduce weight. I'm also having a devil of a time finding a carrier with a 2 1/2" receiver.

Talked to Warn and shouldn't have power problems as long as I have correct length/capacity connections connected directly to battery while vehicle running. And yes, I have complete kit of accessory gear like snatchblocks, pulleys straps etc.

Open to hearing what folks have to say about this. What am I not thinking of? Recommendations on a suitable winch?

Uses to include....
Getting truck out of jackpot
Rescuing smaller vehicles
Pulling non operating machinery (including tractor) onto equipment trailer
Pulling trees out of path (cut not whole obviously)
And anything else that I get myself, or others get themselves, into.

What say the community?

Buy once/cry once.
Get a Warn 12K for weight you're talking and I believe they make adapter sleeves to get your 2.5" back to 2" if/when you ever used it at rear of truck.

I run a receiver mounted Warn on my F250 and I used to swap it between that and my old Scout when I had it.

It's a heavy package but doable. I store it on a harbour freight furniture dolly and roll it right to front of truck when I want to install it.

I welded up my own more compact but more heavy duty mount and also incorporated another 2" receiver in front for a d-ring for snatch block back to vehicle recovery.

IMG_20171105_221202150.jpg

IMG_20171105_221221400.jpg

Badlands do some work, not as quick as some of the $1k ones but the wireless remote is GOLD!

20+ Super Duty Ford Motorsports and Warn makes a winch…. They are backordered right now but super nice.

Attachments

• AE8BF7CD-AD4D-485F-9734-E02AE8B45FC9.jpeg
    AE8BF7CD-AD4D-485F-9734-E02AE8B45FC9.jpeg
    26.8 KB · Views: 2
  • BD14538C-9CFD-49E9-9067-F71545FB0D18.jpeg
    BD14538C-9CFD-49E9-9067-F71545FB0D18.jpeg
    16.9 KB · Views: 1
You made me go look at my equipment. I have a Warn 9000lb winch. I have a custom made platform with a standard 2" square trailer type hitch welded to the bottom. Your 2 1/2" must be a newer heavier duty style they started making. I've had my equipment for @25yrs. Anyway I have two sets of cables, one long and one short for front and back bumper hook up. Use the largest copper cable you can to prevent voltage drop. If I remember correctly I used one "O'' or two "OO". Then I have a assortment of quick hookup connectors to attach to the battery for power. I have a bag with assorted tow straps and clevis hooks, pins and block and tackle as well. The winch with platform weighs @135lbs, not for the weak. I have all this convertible because I have 3 different trucks that it can fit it on. Each truck has a 2" square hitch receiver on the front and one on the back. All my hitch receivers are made by Draw-Tite. The only other thing you need to make sure the 2" adapter is the right length to clear the bumpers front and back. My 9000lb winch has done everything I've ever needed it to do with no problem. Remember you can run the cable back and forth between you and your anchor to double and triple the pulling power and speed.

Back
Top Bottom