• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Will there be any major league sports in 2020? MLB, NFL, NCAA, Racing..

Stampede

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Just my rifle, my pony and me.
53   0
Reaction score
Will there be any football this year? When the fall arrives, the Coronavirus could begin ramping up again in the colder weather, just a the NFL and college football seasons get going. Could the NFL and NCAA play fewer games or in empty stadiums?

While I'm not a much of a MLB fan, the article below discusses how MLB is postponed until early June for now. There are ideas for a normal 162 game season with a later playoff dates and others for a partial season with the normal playoff dates. Don't see how they get in 162 games this year.

https://www.denverpost.com/2020/03/16/major-league-baseball-pushes-season-start-coronavirus/

The racing series and racetracks will be hard pressed to get all of the 2020 races in. Scheduling will be tough with many missed dates and the various series competing for an open track date. The LeMans 24 hour race has been moved from June to September.

https://www.imsa.com/news/2020/03/2...-and-imsa-michelin-pilot-challenge-schedules/

For the sports fans....what are your thoughts on when the seasons could restart?

MLS said they want to play all 34 games plus playoffs....not happening IMO
MLB....no way they play all 162 games plus post season.
NFL and NCAAF might be business as usual. Who knows what September will be like
NBA...might could finish regular season. Maybe an altered playoff structure just for 2020

MLS said they want to play all 34 games plus playoffs....not happening IMO. MLB....no way they play all 162 games plus post season.
NFL and NCAAF might be business as usual. Who knows what September will be like
NBA...might could finish regular season. Maybe an altered playoff structure just for 2020

Yeah I don't see how the MLB will play them all - even with cutting the allstar break and using double headers. The idea I heard was the playoffs would be going on in southern states in Nov/Dec.

With Spring training out for NCAA, they could still be able to just start up in Sept. The big concern to me would be the 100,000+ fans in the stadiums. Would that be allowed? Could there be limited seating?

NFL could sacrifice the preseason (Aug 6th) and start with the regular season on Sept 10th. What about the games played in London & Mexico? Would they be moved to a neutral stadiums here in the U.S.?

Guess we won't know more until perhaps May or June and things have calmed down.

Not looking good for the Curling championships either.

upload_2020-3-30_14-11-41.png

I saw a ladies' hockey game on television for a few minutes yesterday or the day before. Those girls are very athletic. Slap shots didn't look real strong but, otherwise, they looked solid. Then I realized I had just spent 10 minutes watching ladies play ice jockey and I determined I might be going into sports withdrawal.

Most all sports have long enough 'off seasons' that they could easily simply push their starts and championships and shorten the 2021 off season. There's enough money in the mix I'm sure they can work out the facilities scheduling. I don't watch professional sports but I find it hard to believe, the TV ad revenue alone won't make them profitable (if they have to do no crowds early on) and the colleges certainly could afford to do that.

Yeah I don't see how the MLB will play them all - even with cutting the allstar break and using double headers. The idea I heard was the playoffs would be going on in southern states in Nov/Dec.

With Spring training out for NCAA, they could still be able to just start up in Sept. The big concern to me would be the 100,000+ fans in the stadiums. Would that be allowed? Could there be limited seating?

NFL could sacrifice the preseason (Aug 6th) and start with the regular season on Sept 10th. What about the games played in London & Mexico? Would they be moved to a neutral stadiums here in the U.S.?

Guess we won't know more until perhaps May or June and things have calmed down.

I don't see them allowing packed arenas for any sports. Maybe they will allow just for TV? The owners will lose there buts, and stadium owners will go broke! Some type of structuring is and has been in the works. But as usual, fans will foot the bills. Maybe pay per view would be my guess.

Back
Top Bottom