• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Wife wants a boat

A little update. Daughter is now at college and will not be joining us much. I would like for it to still be an option. Son is older and loves to fish. Wife just wants to be on the water. I am thinking at this point a 14-16 foot jon boat. Most fishing will be in the smaller parts of the Flint as well as WMA type lakes. Im thinking 500 lbs if all four of us not counting tackle and cooler. Do I need like a 9.9 or a 100hp? Im assuming wider is better what is considered wider? Yes its three years later and I have not pulled the trigger.

A little update. Daughter is now at college and will not be joining us much. I would like for it to still be an option. Son is older and loves to fish. Wife just wants to be on the water. I am thinking at this point a 14-16 foot jon boat. Most fishing will be in the smaller parts of the Flint as well as WMA type lakes. Im thinking 500 lbs if all four of us not counting tackle and cooler. Do I need like a 9.9 or a 100hp? Im assuming wider is better what is considered wider? Yes its three years later and I have not pulled the trigger.
4 people in a 14 foot john boat does not sound like a lot of fun or particularly safe. Especially in a river. YMMV

4 people in a 14 foot john boat does not sound like a lot of fun or particularly safe. Especially in a river. YMMV
I will be the first to admit I dont know what I dont know.

It will be two of us most of the time and three a little more often and four is the rare occasion but want to be an option if the opportunity.

I will be the first to admit I dont know what I dont know.

It will be two of us most of the time and three a little more often and four is the rare occasion but want to be an option if the opportunity.
Get a 16 or 18 foot and until you have some serious experience limit it to three people in the boat.

My pontoon is always in a river or a creek. Of course I’m on Lake Hartwell right where Gumlog creek flows into the Tugaloo River then joined by the Seneca River before the flow into big water so there’s that…I bought my boat four years ago before supply and demand prices went crazy and my wife was just kinda 🙄 at me for making such a big purchase without her input and I was kinda like 😎

Now, it’s her happy place. We’re on the boat twice a week at least. We mostly just float or cruise but I occasionally fish off of it. That’s the beauty of a pontoon, get the right motor and you can party, fish, ski, tube, cruise, float, everything!

That tired old cliche about the “two best days” is BS…just get out on it and enjoy. If it’s just going to take up garage or driveway space because you never get out, better to just rent a couple times a year.

9.9 or 100hp is a huge difference. 9.9 are best for lakes and water here the authorities (DNR or HOA) restrict boats to less than 10 hp. You can get a 25, 40, 50, 60, 75, or 90hp motor also…cost goes up exponentially with the hp. For a competitive bass boat or a ski boat, get more hp than you think you’ll need, for a Jon boat, ask around…I doubt you’d need a 100hp.

ETA: some smaller four stroke motors (like the mercury 40 and 60 hp models) have a back up pull start in case your battery goes dead on the water…can’t do that with the bigger displacement models.

Waited on a guy loading a pontoon boat in the wind at the ramp. Lake, no current. Don't be that guy.. My pontoon boat would be in a slip at the marina during the months of use. You mentioned river so I will mention jon boat or skiff.

Back
Top Bottom