• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Why was there an update?

Blaze

Default rank <2000 posts Supporter
*this space for rent*
114   0
Reaction score
I'm not loving the new format.
That being said, I am old and stubborn...pretty set in my ways, so it's understandable I'm not going to like change much...
But, I'm also VERY logical (not Mr Spock logical, but damn close) and I'm trying to understand why it was needed so mentally, I can transition easier.
I mean I don't see the benefits....the only thing I see new is the "keyword alerts", everything else is the same stuff just different....not better, just different (and often awkward).
Anyway, I do love the ODT, and I appreciate all the work that goes into it. I'm not overly bit¢hing, just trying to understand the benefits of the growing pains to have "different" unless at some point it's going to turn into "better".

Let’s say as a young man you bought a 2 seater sports car for you and your lady. Then you begin to grow your family and kids start having you looking for a bigger better vehicle to support your needs.
Let's say the new vehicle is a wood paneled station wagon with a rod knocking.... Because it's bigger don't make it better....LOL

If the update was for better software on the coding end, then I understand that... I'm old...not stupid. But that's something we can't see from our side of the screen (so to speak) and why the question was asked....

not knocking your question as it is a great question. By better, I meant better to meet the need of a larger family. I’m old and don’t like change either but sometimes you just have to go with the flow. I’m sure someone from the staff will offer a more direct tech geek answer that I won’t understand because I’m simple. :thumb:

I'm not loving the new format.
That being said, I am old and stubborn...pretty set in my ways, so it's understandable I'm not going to like change much...
But, I'm also VERY logical (not Mr Spock logical, but damn close) and I'm trying to understand why it was needed so mentally, I can transition easier.
I mean I don't see the benefits....the only thing I see new is the "keyword alerts", everything else is the same stuff just different....not better, just different (and often awkward).
Anyway, I do love the ODT, and I appreciate all the work that goes into it. I'm not overly bit¢hing, just trying to understand the benefits of the growing pains to have "different" unless at some point it's going to turn into "better".
See I thought it was only me I was serving a week long suspension for one of my infamous comments and when I came back on the new format was there so I thought they were punishing me but I guess not it sucks the new format sucks

Let's say the new vehicle is a wood paneled station wagon with a rod knocking.... Because it's bigger don't make it better....LOL

If the update was for better software on the coding end, then I understand that... I'm old...not stupid. But that's something we can't see from our side of the screen (so to speak) and why the question was asked....
Our software was old and unsupported. The internet, server software, mobile devices, etc have all updated or changed a lot over the last 5 years and the old version of the site was getting less and less compatible, which also means less secure and more vulnerable to a potential attack.

Our software was old and unsupported. The internet, server software, mobile devices, etc have all updated or changed a lot over the last 5 years and the old version of the site was getting less and less compatible, which also means less secure and more vulnerable to a potential attack.
Well that explanation was painless and actually made sense to me. :thumb:

That makes sense.... I'm just trying to help mentally deal with the growing pains, not only for myself but others....it's like going to the gym. It's painful, but if you know the end result, you'll stick with it better.
Thanks for all you do Okuma Okuma .... I've helped moderate large forums in the past and it can be a handful at times (I can't even imagine what it's like for you)...you (and your moderators) ARE appreciated!!

Back
Top Bottom