• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Why Do You Carry A Knife?

Two knife related stories while working for/under idiots: 1) my manager's manager said nobody could carry a knife at work any longer because she was tired of seeing knives clipped to our pockets. My manager was kinda embarrassed when he told us what his boss said, but he stressed "she doesn't want to see any knives clipped to your pants pockets." I took this as a subtle hint and carried the exact same knife inside my pants pocket, safe from view. A few guys kept wearing their knives in view and got written up for that.

2) (at another company) during a big meeting an upper level manager asked why us I.T. guys carried knives. We explained that we had to cut open boxes, cut shrink wrap off pallets and I have had to trim some plastic off electrical connectors a few times. That manager then said we would be better off carrying box cutters as they were "less threatening". One coworker blurted out, "people with box cutters took down several airplanes on 9/11". It got pretty quiet for a minute and the subject of knives was dropped.

Notice that both of these stories involved women who were in upper management. I have had numerous female coworkers who asked me to cut open boxes/packages/etc because they were sure I had a knife.

Two knife related stories while working for/under idiots: 1) my manager's manager said nobody could carry a knife at work any longer because she was tired of seeing knives clipped to our pockets. My manager was kinda embarrassed when he told us what his boss said, but he stressed "she doesn't want to see any knives clipped to your pants pockets." I took this as a subtle hint and carried the exact same knife inside my pants pocket, safe from view. A few guys kept wearing their knives in view and got written up for that.

2) (at another company) during a big meeting an upper level manager asked why us I.T. guys carried knives. We explained that we had to cut open boxes, cut shrink wrap off pallets and I have had to trim some plastic off electrical connectors a few times. That manager then said we would be better off carrying box cutters as they were "less threatening". One coworker blurted out, "people with box cutters took down several airplanes on 9/11". It got pretty quiet for a minute and the subject of knives was dropped.

Notice that both of these stories involved women who were in upper management. I have had numerous female coworkers who asked me to cut open boxes/packages/etc because they were sure I had a knife.
In the first story, I would have put a knife on my belt in a sheath….then you could tell her “It aint clipped to my pocket” :becky:

Back
Top Bottom