• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Why do they call it cold turkey?

Not sure of the phrase origin. It takes 72 hours to eliminate nicotine from the system and remove the physical addicton, the psychological addiction last longer. Find things to occupy the space once held by smoking. Walk, memorize scripture, pray, call a friend. Has been close to 40 years since I quit and sometimes I will pass by someone smoking and it still smells good. The mindset I had was to just not smoke the next one. I still think that way today. You can’t play with it. Lighting up just starts the addictive process again
you are in my prayers for this.
Big part for me was changing behaviors. No coffee in the morning no scotch at night. Worst was after a meal. Had to chew Nicorette gum for a while.

I quit drinking cold turkey august 24th. I was drinking 10-12 beers a night 4-5 sometimes 6 days a week. Was working and running my business so I figured I was ok. I ran into some medical issues and the doc said it would be best if I quit. I got scared into quitting.

I quit drinking cold turkey august 24th. I was drinking 10-12 beers a night 4-5 sometimes 6 days a week. Was working and running my business so I figured I was ok. I ran into some medical issues and the doc said it would be best if I quit. I got scared into quitting.
That's awesome Sir!!! Sometimes I think we all fall into bad habits and then it's hard to break them but I'm glad to hear you've quit because it ain't easy but you have done it. Take pride in that because you've won a victory.

GOD Bless Sir.

That's awesome Sir!!! Sometimes I think we all fall into bad habits and then it's hard to break them but I'm glad to hear you've quit because it ain't easy but you have done it. Take pride in that because you've won a victory.

GOD Bless Sir.
Thank you and the same to you. I hope you can kick that smoking habit. I dip Copenhagen. That needs to be my next focus after I get the medical issues resolved

I quit smoking going on three days ago now. I asked GOD and Jesus for help so that means I really have to try this time to avoid letting them down.

So why do they call it quitting cold turkey?
Congratulations!

When I was younger I smoked a pack or two a day but would quit during the Spring because I liked to play tennis/racquetball/golf etc., and being good at these things was more important to me than smoking. Of course I also knew that when winter arrived I could take up smoking again.

Smoking is an extremely difficult habit to quit, but if you establish a more important objective in your mind such as living and enjoying a healthier lifestyle, then it reduces the justification for smoking. Also, and maybe more important, is the fact that if you succeed in quitting you will have done something that most smokers want to do but have failed. No mean feat in these difficult excuse laden times, plus you'll have a lot more $$ for ammo. etc. :thumb:.

"Cold Turkey" worked for me when I quit forever, and I know it's worked for many others. We know you can do it if you put your mind to it. As Larry would say "Get 'r done". Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom