• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Whole home water filter recommendations needed

jastricker

Default rank <3500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
192   0
Reaction score
I just finally moved into my kennesaw house I bought in May and had to fix everything the last owner changed as he didn’t know what a level is(or that you don’t use caulking as grout). I had a pin hole leak in a copper pipe and the plumber said only in Cobb has he had issues with the water essentially eating the pipes. So, I am looking for a good while home water filter(preferably one that puts minerals back in after stripping everything out, and if possible ph balances the water). If anyone preferably a plumber knows of a good whole home filter let me know. Thanks in advance and you know you want the Ak I have for sale

You need to do a water test and find out your pH and iron levels. I have low pH and higher Iron, and I use a Fleck 2510SXT 2.5 Cubic Foot filter. I add calcite to raise the pH and FloMag to lower the iron levels. At least I think that's they way it goes. I'll have to double check later if someone with more knowledge doesn't chime in. Oh and it's not a cheap filter, but I got the biggest one I could that would still allow me to have good water pressure.

I was looking at good water tests that take measurements of a number of toxic substances, iron, etc. really good test are Close to or more than $200. The filter mentioned above is about twice that and filters out a lot and gets the ph positive. I am not sure what is in the water that is eating copper pipes(which is a big deal), but I was already wanting to put a filter in for the kitchen sink where you can switch it on and off so you don’t waste it on washing dishes. I just assumed their was someone on here that deals with water purification of has a lot of knowledge, as we have someone who works or knows a lot about almost everything on here

We had pinholes in our pipes too (East Cobb). If you have one, there’s almost certainly more. Mid-70’s construction, and what we thought were one or two pinholes, turned out to be corrosion throughout the entire line. An easy way to check your pipes, is anywhere there’s teal color corrosion on the outside of the copper, there’s a pinhole working its way through on the inside.

We ended up getting repiped with PEX, but haven’t addressed filtering (want to, but haven’t) beyond the fridge filter, which is really just flavor filtering.

Your local county UGA Extension agent will do your water test for $20. You get a vial from them and send it toUGA and they provide you with a very thorough set of results. Then you can determine what type of filtration you need. We did it with our well. Worked out great.

Your local county UGA Extension agent will do your water test for $20. You get a vial from them and send it toUGA and they provide you with a very thorough set of results. Then you can determine what type of filtration you need. We did it with our well. Worked out great.
Thanks as this will help me greatly

Back
Top Bottom