• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Which would you rather buy (SKS)?

Which would you buy?

• Fair to Good Norinco ~$450

Votes: 18 45.0%
  • Appears Unfired Norinco ~$600

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Something off of this board ($ varies)

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Another option (please specify)

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • Wouldn't buy an SKS (please explain why)

Votes: 5 12.5%

• Total voters

drwebb

Bear Icon
Outdoorsman
11   0
Reaction score
I've recently obtained a C&R FFL with an interest in older Milsurp rifles. First up---I'm looking at an SKS. I have previously owned an SKS that was obtained in a trade that was bubba'd. I never shot it and I've got no clue why I ever accepted it in the first place. Anyhow, I want one in it's original form.

That being said there are some Norinco rifles out there with a Fair to Good condition rating that look like would be a fun project to clean up and learn the gun. Do I want one of those, do I want to pay ~$150 more for what Checkpoint Charlie's is calling 'Appears unfired' or do I want to buy one of the many that are posted on here every day? I'm not stuck on Norinco either, that's just what's available these days.

Essentially I am less worried about the money but I think the project gun has the upside of being forced to learn the ins-and-outs of every part. But it's a gamble that I get total garbage. So which would you pick?

Bonus: feel free to recommend some good sources for C&R rifles, particularly WW2.

My favorite is the Yugo 59 (the model without the grenade launcher). Had one a bunch of years ago, sold it, and wish I hadn't. SKS is a great rifle.

It’s hard to be satisfied with any sks once you’ve owned a Russian model from the Tula or Ishevsk arsenal….pure awesomeness.

I like the chinese factory 26 (jianshe arsenal) sks for a shooter.

I like the yugo (Zastava) 59/66a1 to launch rifle grenades loaded with a tennis ball.

Classic Firearms used to have good deals on Chinese sks that are slathered in cosmoline, I enjoy cleaning them up and having that “been there, done that” look
F28A103B-648D-4D32-84BC-392199BFE789.jpeg

I've got a Tula. Love it.

But I've had an early model factory /26\ and it was honestly as good a shooter as the Tula. If you can, get all matching numbers.

I'd actually like to get another factory /26\.

If your set on Chinese, make sure its a triangle arsenal stamp, not square.
/26\ seem to be the best fit and finish and built with Tula tooling and knowledge.
Some are even 100% Russian parts guns, the /26\Sino Soviet.

/###\ arsenal number in a triangle is made for Military/Police
[###] arsenal number in a square is made for commercial market

My first rifle was a Yugo SKS, packed in cosmoline but in really good condition. I thought it was a good experience having to take my first rifle apart completely, and it was a good gun.

Right now though I've got a Russian SKS and compared to the Yugo and a Norinco I've had, it's the best one.

I've recently obtained a C&R FFL with an interest in older Milsurp rifles. First up---I'm looking at an SKS. I have previously owned an SKS that was obtained in a trade that was bubba'd. I never shot it and I've got no clue why I ever accepted it in the first place. Anyhow, I want one in it's original form.

That being said there are some Norinco rifles out there with a Fair to Good condition rating that look like would be a fun project to clean up and learn the gun. Do I want one of those, do I want to pay ~$150 more for what Checkpoint Charlie's is calling 'Appears unfired' or do I want to buy one of the many that are posted on here every day? I'm not stuck on Norinco either, that's just what's available these days.

Essentially I am less worried about the money but I think the project gun has the upside of being forced to learn the ins-and-outs of every part. But it's a gamble that I get total garbage. So which would you pick?

Bonus: feel free to recommend some good sources for C&R rifles, particularly WW2.
Congrats
The Chinese SKS are pretty plentiful and well made. Norinco helped facilitate import and wasn't necessarily a manufacturer, although the terms are used synonymously.
Keep in mind the Yugo SKS did not come with a chrome lined bore, so that's something to be mindful of since Yugo M67 ammo is corrosive and people still use the stuff widely today.

Back
Top Bottom