• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Which would you rather buy (SKS)?

Which would you buy?

• Fair to Good Norinco ~$450

Votes: 18 45.0%
  • Appears Unfired Norinco ~$600

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Something off of this board ($ varies)

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Another option (please specify)

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • Wouldn't buy an SKS (please explain why)

Votes: 5 12.5%

• Total voters
Why settle…get one of each.
:becky:
That's a fine enough goal but it's a hard pill to swallow when I see most SKSs priced at or above what you could assemble an AR for. And if you just dig the caliber you could build one in 7.62x39. Don't get me wrong I dig wood and steel .I would trade 2 ARs for 1 AK right now. It's just hard to see that much value in the SKS whem I clearly recall selling them at a Rose's store in Macon for $89.00 on sale most every Sunday. Yeah yeah that was 1990 and none of us has a time machine. I guess I'm getting old and stuck in the " I remember when..." mode.

Honestly for the prices M and D models pull I would not recommend one as it’s literally a VZ2008 in essence Norincos are solid shooters and you can go down another rabbit hole just collecting Arsenal marks lol don’t ask me how I know
I always confuse the M and D model. But back in 07 I had the one without the hideous thumb hole stock. It was a very neat concept but it wasn't executed that well. Mine had a small square metal plate screwed to the inside of the stock . That was the plate that the front part of an AK mag hooked onto when you rocked the mag into the rifle. It was a somewhat more difficult to seat a mag in that rifle than in an AK. Not long after that I scored a couple of 20 round tanker mags from a shop in Macon. They seemed to work better. Easier to lock in and they damn sure looked better than a 30 rounder hanging out of it.

I bought a Chinese paratrooper model at a gun show when I was stationed in Hawaii. I think I paid $200. Way more than they were going for back then but it was Hawaii so the price was fair for that region. That was 1987-88 era. That was before Hawaii turned commie. The owner had taken a torch to the wood stock and made burn marks that gave it a tiger stripe camo look. Great gun. I hunted pigs and goats on Kauai with it. Never shot anything there but I've shot several deer and pigs with it in Ga. I still have it and won't ever sell it.

I've owned two Norinco SKS rifles. One I modded with a side-folding stock, duck-bill 30 round mags, etc. The other I kept stock. I enjoy shooting it even more than the tricked-out one.
My buddy has a Korean-war era Soviet SKS, and we've shot his and mine on the same range session. Unless you just like the Russian / USSR historical connection, I'd say they're both equally good as shooters.

I bought a Norinco from my uncle for $100 about 13 years ago. I thought I cleaned all the cosmoline off of it. First time I shot it I put one in the mag, charged it and fired. I thought cool, all is well so I loaded up 10 rounds. I pulled the bolt back and let it slam home and it fired all 10 rounds full auto all by itself! After I changed my underwear, I found the firing pin gummed up with cosmoline causing the slam fire. Haha, that was definitely a learning experience and thank the good Lord no one was injured by my stupidity. After that was all cleaned up it ran great. I would pick up a fair to good shape Norinco for a shooter if the price was right, $400ish.

It’s hard to be satisfied with any sks once you’ve owned a Russian model from the Tula or Ishevsk arsenal….pure awesomeness.

I like the chinese factory 26 (jianshe arsenal) sks for a shooter.

I like the yugo (Zastava) 59/66a1 to launch rifle grenades loaded with a tennis ball.

Classic Firearms used to have good deals on Chinese sks that are slathered in cosmoline, I enjoy cleaning them up and having that “been there, done that” lookView attachment 3526189
The Arsenal 26 SKS’s are great. The Chicom ones are arguably better than the Yugo ones due to their chrome lined barrels. I have an Arsenal 26 one and it has never failed to fire despite putting close to 1000 rounds through it over the time I have owned it.

the nicest SKS I have had the pleasure of using is a ‘53 Izhevsk one my father bought. A friend has a ‘53 Tula which is also beautiful.

The SKS is easily my favorite carbine over the years I've owned several variations Russian, Chinese, Yugo and Romanian . For whatever reason I'd end up selling or trading them away, thinking they are cheap and plentiful and I'd pick up another at some point then
of course prices went kinda crazy, so when a co-worker offered to trade me his Romanian SKS for a pump shotgun I jumped at the offer needless to say I keeping this one good luck in your search...

I was gifted with a barely fired Norinco back in 1998. Free is good!!
It came with a synthetic folding stock, duckbill magazines and no bayonet.
Luckily, the original parts came with it too, so now it is complete as it came from the factory, even with the green web sling.
I gave away the magazines, and the stock is out in my barn.
It's a good little carbine, it sometimes rides under the back seat of my pickup.

It’s hard to be satisfied with any sks once you’ve owned a Russian model from the Tula or Ishevsk arsenal….pure awesomeness.

I like the chinese factory 26 (jianshe arsenal) sks for a shooter.

I like the yugo (Zastava) 59/66a1 to launch rifle grenades loaded with a tennis ball.

Classic Firearms used to have good deals on Chinese sks that are slathered in cosmoline, I enjoy cleaning them up and having that “been there, done that” lookView attachment 3526189
Agree. I’m sticking with Russian models on this. Cause there the only models Iv ever owned. Not knocking the Chinese, not one bit but just rather go with Russian models AK/SKS. It’s what I have a history with.

Back
Top Bottom