• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Which waders to buy for trout fly fishing?

spistols

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
310   0
Reaction score
I want to get into fly fishing. Hell, I have a river in my backyard teeming with brown, rainbow, and I even spotted a golden trout. Water temp is now @ 40 degrees, and expect it to get a little colder in the next few months.

So, my first foray into this will mean I need to get waders. I don't want a cheap or entry level set. This will be my new hobby for the rest of my remaining life, so I want quality with the best and most reliable warranty. Been looking into Simms, and am SO CONFUSED, as they have a huge selection, and I don't know what I need. Zipper in front for bathroom breaks seems like a sensible option.

So, what do the river trout fly fisherman suggest? Do I order online or go to a store and buy? Where in N. GA is the best place to go to get fitted and what not?

Over my 25 yrs. of fly-fishing, I have never been disappointed with Simms brand waders. The G4's are very nice (and very expensive), but my Guide Classics have served me just fine over the years. I prefer Gortex breathable material because it is much more versatile than full neoprene. I also prefer stocking foot waders with separate felt-bottom boots over the all-in-one bootfoot versions. I would never buy a wader with a zipper. Gravel guards and a belt are a MUST. Also consider a wading staff. My favorite boots bar-none are Weinbrenner's Original Gary Borgers. Best wading boot ever made!

Nice to have trout in your backyard! Invite me up sometime and maybe I can show you a few things...

fish.jpg

Back
Top Bottom