• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Which New Lawn Tractor To Purchase

Which New Lawn Tractor To Purchase

• Total voters
Deere has fixed it so no one can work on their larger farm tractors

They install software in everything and while anyone can install a new sensor or even a power steering pump , only a Deere dealer can activate the hidden software in the replacement parts so they will actually work

I would avoid Deere for that reason alone ,
I don’t think that has been done to their smaller machines , but they will sooner or later

Deere has fixed it so no one can work on their larger farm tractors

They install software in everything and while anyone can install a new sensor or even a power steering pump , only a Deere dealer can activate the hidden software in the replacement parts so they will actually work

I would avoid Deere for that reason alone ,
I don’t think that has been done to their smaller machines , but they will sooner or later
You have heard about the Eastern European firmware hacks that are available now? Allows farmers to do their own repairs, aided by a laptop!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I have a JD I purchased new in 1998. Served me well with regular maintenance throughout the 20 years. I finally broke a belt on it after 20 years, and other than that no problems. Hard to believe the belt lasted that long! Good luck, and I would take a look at the Cub Cadet also for comparison.

I have reached the strength and energy portion of this earthly life where I no longer enjoy pushing a self-propelled lawn mower around my yard, even though it is only approximately 1/4 acre. I do not wish to pay a professional landscaper at this time. I still enjoy the outside and fresh air and sunshine. I have visited Home Depot, Lowes, talked with several small engine repair persons, gotten opinions from 5 neighbors who have also made this same decision, as well as searching for lawn tractor ratings online. I want to purchase new and be able to stretch the payments over several months interest free. At this point, here is what I believe I want:

42 to 46 inch cut
18.5 to 22 hp
hydrostatic transmission
v-twin cylinder
able to use mulch kit [do not intend to use a bag]
dual blades [triple if package deal]
4 anti-scalp deck wheels
cruise control [ if package deal]
no more than $2000

Your thoughts/opinions/experiences welcome. If some of the above specs seem overkill, I want to also be able to help my elderly neighbors and my daughters as needed, who have mowable areas up to 1 acre. Thanks.
Understand. I purchased a new JD lawn tractor in 2001 and just sold it yesterday. Great machine. Mine was bought at a JD dealer before they started selling at the big box stores. Several friends have bought JDs at Home Depot and they just aren't the same.

However, as several have commented, there's probably not a nickel's worth of difference between the various machines now being sold at Lowe's & HD. Most are made under the MTD umbrella, and although there are differences between brands, any of them should give you decent service. I just wouldn't expect 17 years of service with nothing more replaced than a couple of spark plugs, a mower deck belt, and a deck pulley (bent when the grass catcher sucked the cast iron water meter cover out of the ground and into the blades!).

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I have a JD I purchased new in 1998. Served me well with regular maintenance throughout the 20 years. I finally broke a belt on it after 20 years, and other than that no problems. Hard to believe the belt lasted that long! Good luck, and I would take a look at the Cub Cadet also for comparison.

I have a 2004 LX280 and still use it regularly. I think she has about 450 hours on it and it was almost $5k but worth it. I had to replace the top half of the hood because I had to leave it outside for a year after the tornados tore up all the houses on our farm. Other than that, she a beast.

You probably know this already. But just in case . . .

No matter what you get, check and change the oil and the oil and air filters regularly. Same with spark plugs and gas filter. Buy an inexpensive bench grinder so you can sharpen the blades frequently without torturing yourself. I put one on a Black & Decker Workmate bench in the yard about once a month to sharpen the mower blades. Every week, check the tire pressure and make sure it's correct or you'll get uneven cuts. Likewise, balance the mower deck per the instructions or you'll get uneven cuts. If you must park it outdoors, buy a cover. I bought this one: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0752NT5VX/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (they come in different sizes). Put the green slime tire sealant in the tires because you will run over things and damage the tires. They sell it at Tractor Supply and other hardware stores. I plugged my tractor's tires about 15 times -- the green slime stopped that madness. Expect occasional maintenance like worn starter gears, broken belts, etc., just like a car.

I bought the tractor because my lawn service guy was drunk all the time and wouldn't show up. I bought a used Agri-Fab dump trailer from a neighbor. I can't begin to say how much better my life has been since making those purchases.

I'm getting older, so the day will come when I'll hire a lawn service again. When that happens I'll remove the mower deck and keep using the tractor and trailer, as I've been doing, to move furniture and other items, haul firewood in the yard, haul trash from the back to the driveway, and all kinds of other things. It's just a great tool.

And if it doesn’t come with one
Install a high quality fuel filter and a shutoff valve between the tank and carb

Every time you park it
Shut off the fuel and let it run until all the gas is gone from the carb bowl

Otherwise you will be cleaning the carb because of the ethanol crap

You probably know this already. But just in case . . .

No matter what you get, check and change the oil and the oil and air filters regularly. Same with spark plugs and gas filter. Buy an inexpensive bench grinder so you can sharpen the blades frequently without torturing yourself. I put one on a Black & Decker Workmate bench in the yard about once a month to sharpen the mower blades. Every week, check the tire pressure and make sure it's correct or you'll get uneven cuts. Likewise, balance the mower deck per the instructions or you'll get uneven cuts. If you must park it outdoors, buy a cover. I bought this one: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0752NT5VX/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (they come in different sizes). Put the green slime tire sealant in the tires because you will run over things and damage the tires. They sell it at Tractor Supply and other hardware stores. I plugged my tractor's tires about 15 times -- the green slime stopped that madness. Expect occasional maintenance like worn starter gears, broken belts, etc., just like a car.

I bought the tractor because my lawn service guy was drunk all the time and wouldn't show up. I bought a used Agri-Fab dump trailer from a neighbor. I can't begin to say how much better my life has been since making those purchases.

I'm getting older, so the day will come when I'll hire a lawn service again. When that happens I'll remove the mower deck and keep using the tractor and trailer, as I've been doing, to move furniture and other items, haul firewood in the yard, haul trash from the back to the driveway, and all kinds of other things. It's just a great tool.
Good points throughout your post. Thanks.

And if it doesn’t come with one
Install a high quality fuel filter and a shutoff valve between the tank and carb

Every time you park it
Shut off the fuel and let it run until all the gas is gone from the carb bowl

Otherwise you will be cleaning the carb because of the ethanol crap
Had not thought of that except at end of season on my push mowers. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom