• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Which is worse? Cast your vote...

Which is worse?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish I could buy some building materials at prices before COVID to build a house on the lake, I guess they are flipping lumber too. You know what I'm going to do? Wait till prices drop. My point is don't buy it and quit *****ing about it, Grow up. A builder now will not build a house unless it's cost plus right now, that means you are going to pay elevated prices. I'm going to love you guys answers to this one.

The problem every time someone makes that analogy, or compares it to a home appreciating in value over the past 27 years, is that the gun market itself, hasn't gone up. ODT has. You are trying to pretend that ODT prices are inline with "the market", when they aren't. Too many dealers out there still selling at normal prices. Why? Because they are still buying guns from the manufacturers and distributors for the same prices as before. There is more demand, yes, and supply is down. But most dealers have not increased their prices. Certainly not with the 50-100% increases we see here.

What happens on ODT is absolutely not reflected in the market, other than a handful of places like Cheaper Than Dirt.

I don't understand why people can't just be honest and admit it. Nobody is calling for price caps or anything like that, and we all accept the rules that you can't crap in someone's listing thread... But to pretend that what is happening here, is somehow normal and "thats what the market is doing", simply isn't true.

So why the inability to admit it and own it?

That last part, is what most of us "whiners" are talking about. It's not about getting Admins to lock prices at procovid levels. That has never been asked for, by anyone.

But when long time members want to vent a little over what is happening here, and the same core group of folks circle the wagons and pretend that it's not happening... or they make excuses that simply aren't supported by the facts... I would say that 90% of these weekly debates on "pricing", are around that last point, more than anything. I think that if people just sacked up and said, "Yeah, its a weird market and I know that my Glock isn't worth $800, but I figure if someone is desperate enough to pay it, why not cash out and make a few beans for myself"?

If people did that, these arguments would stop. It is what it is.

It's the pretending that you aren't doing that, and trying to pretend that "everyone in the market is doing that" when we can all walk into half a dozen LGS's and see that they aren't... THAT'S the most annoying part. lol

Seriously... it's less about the fact that folks are flipping, and more about the fact that they put together an amazing array of mental gymnastics to try and pretend that they aren't... at least for me...

I wish I could buy some building materials at prices before COVID to build a house on the lake, I guess they are flipping lumber too. You know what I'm going to do? Wait till prices drop. My point is don't buy it and quit *****ing about it, Grow up. A builder now will not build a house unless it's cost plus right now, that means you are going to pay elevated prices. I'm going to love you guys answers to this one.
you would think that but the track builders are wide open and some of the small guys are about to start building specs. i'm selling osb for 3 times the price i was in february and i've backed off of the margin trying to keep my price down. the mills are getting rich right now like they do every time it runs. i'm ready to be out of the materials game.

The problem every time someone makes that analogy, or compares it to a home appreciating in value over the past 27 years, is that the gun market itself, hasn't gone up. ODT has. You are trying to pretend that ODT prices are inline with "the market", when they aren't. Too many dealers out there still selling at normal prices. Why? Because they are still buying guns from the manufacturers and distributors for the same prices as before. There is more demand, yes, and supply is down. But most dealers have not increased their prices. Certainly not with the 50-100% increases we see here.

What happens on ODT is absolutely not reflected in the market, other than a handful of places like Cheaper Than Dirt.

I don't understand why people can't just be honest and admit it. Nobody is calling for price caps or anything like that, and we all accept the rules that you can't crap in someone's listing thread... But to pretend that what is happening here, is somehow normal and "thats what the market is doing", simply isn't true.

So why the inability to admit it and own it?

That last part, is what most of us "whiners" are talking about. It's not about getting Admins to lock prices at procovid levels. That has never been asked for, by anyone.

But when long time members want to vent a little over what is happening here, and the same core group of folks circle the wagons and pretend that it's not happening... or they make excuses that simply aren't supported by the facts... I would say that 90% of these weekly debates on "pricing", are around that last point, more than anything. I think that if people just sacked up and said, "Yeah, its a weird market and I know that my Glock isn't worth $800, but I figure if someone is desperate enough to pay it, why not cash out and make a few beans for myself"?

If people did that, these arguments would stop. It is what it is.

It's the pretending that you aren't doing that, and trying to pretend that "everyone in the market is doing that" when we can all walk into half a dozen LGS's and see that they aren't... THAT'S the most annoying part. lol

Seriously... it's less about the fact that folks are flipping, and more about the fact that they put together an amazing array of mental gymnastics to try and pretend that they aren't... at least for me...
hmmmm..... aren't you the guy that asked if reporting people on here to the ATF as unauthorized dealers was ok a week or two ago? kind of funny considering the amount of feedback you have since january showing you as the seller.
did you profit from any of those sales or trades? if so you should step up and be the first to say it.

hmmmm..... aren't you the guy that asked if reporting people on here to the ATF as unauthorized dealers was ok a week or two ago? kind of funny considering the amount of feedback you have since january showing you as the seller.
did you profit from any of those sales or trades? if so you should step up and be the first to say it.

I asked a legal question around what constitutes an unlicensed dealer in the eyes of the law. Some folks, ones with a guilty conscience most likely, read into and took offense to the question, yes...

If you understood the law, you would know that "making money" isn't the crime. The fact that I lose money on nearly every deal, aside.

It is if you engage in the business of selling guns for profit, that gets into the legality.

If you buy a gun, hate how it shoots, and sell it for $10 more than you paid for it, you aren't guilty of a crime.

If you have a side business where you buy guns and then relist them within hours for hundreds more, and it is clear that you are simply using ODT or ArmsList as your "internet storefront"... THAT may raise some eyebrows with the alphabet groups.

False equivalency much?

Usually ignore these threads but just curious. What problem are we trying to fix? I don't have time or desire to read all the posts but these keep showing up in Feed. Why?

I asked a legal question around what constitutes an unlicensed dealer in the eyes of the law. Some folks, ones with a guilty conscience most likely, read into and took offense to the question, yes...

If you understood the law, you would know that "making money" isn't the crime. The fact that I lose money on nearly every deal, aside.

It is if you engage in the business of selling guns for profit, that gets into the legality.

If you buy a gun, hate how it shoots, and sell it for $10 more than you paid for it, you aren't guilty of a crime.

If you have a side business where you buy guns and then relist them within hours for hundreds more, and it is clear that you are simply using ODT or ArmsList as your "internet storefront"... THAT may raise some eyebrows with the alphabet groups.

False equivalency much?
you sure must hate a lot of guns. after you posed that question i checked and you had 25 feedback as the seller or trader since january.
if you lose money on every deal it sounds like you are an unauthorized dealer that happens to be a really bad businessman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom