• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Which Focal Plane?

Tim noTebow

Default rank <200 posts
Hunter
16   0
Reaction score
I just purchased my first hunting rifle and I am stuck on what glass to put on it. Im leaning toward the Vortex Razor LHT. I’m running a 6.5 PRC and will be mainly hunting white tail here in Georgia but will also be going out west for Elk hunts and would like to run the same setup for both, if possible.
My question is which focal plane do I need? I understand both but just am unsure on if first or second focal plane would be best for these uses. Thanks for the help!

2nd for hunting. You will be af 4-5 power most the time hunting whitetails. FFP makes for a very small recital at that power.

I run a Vortex Viper HS 2.5x10 for whitetails. If you think you will be making longer shorts 4x16 version would be good. Just remember out west is a lot of walking and weight is your enemy.

If you are willing to spend the $, the Vortex Razor LHT is an awesome scope. I am running one on my NRL Hunter/hunting 260 (first focal plane).

I have been using Vortex VX6 2-12 with CDS-ZL or Vortex VX3 4.5-14 with CDS-ZL (second focal plane) on my hunting rifles for mule deer and antelope out west.

I am a 2nd focal plane guy… I don’t use my reticle for ranging and prefer to maintain a heavier reticle for closer range shots. (I am just getting started with 6.5 PRC too and running a 4-24x50 Trijicon)

If you are willing to spend the $, the Vortex Razor LHT is an awesome scope. I am running one on my NRL Hunter/hunting 260 (first focal plane).

I have been using Vortex VX6 2-12 with CDS-ZL or Vortex VX3 4.5-14 with CDS-ZL (second focal plane) on my hunting rifles for mule deer and antelope out west.
Perfect! Thank you

Back
Top Bottom