• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Where to train near Atlanta?

silvester27

Default rank <5 posts
New to The Trader!
7   0
Reaction score
I’m pretty new to the sport. Have gone to a few tactical courses, few hundred rounds at indoor range, and some time on dry fire practice.

I want to start competing after the whole apocalypse thing but wondering where I can train run and gun? Are there any ranges that are down with that, or maybe I should find someone with some land?

South of Atlanta is South River Gun Club. Andreas Yankopolus also teaches great USPSA based classes there.

North of Atlanta you're looking at River Bend Gun Club or Cherokee Gun Club

All of these clubs require membership to use or you can come as a guest with a member.

All their matches are open to the public though.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Until you have tried it, you really do not know if it something you will stick with. I would suggest starting with indoor matches and try using a handgun and then a carbine and find what you like. Most organizations now allow either at all matches. The indoor matches will take the least amount of prep and drive time. Watch a few YouTube videos and get comfortable with the range commands. Then find a local range that holds matches and show up early for a match with a pistol, kydex hip holster that covers the trigger guard, two mag holders, 150 rounds of ammo and watch , listen and go slow your first match.
Action shooting is a brotherhood in Georgia filled with some of the best guys you will meet.
In three years I have gained skills that I could never have imagined and I am not very good at all compared to the majority of people I shoot with. There are several guys in North Georgia that are as skilled as anyone in the world and they are always willing to give free advice.

I’m pretty new to the sport. Have gone to a few tactical courses, few hundred rounds at indoor range, and some time on dry fire practice.

I want to start competing after the whole apocalypse thing but wondering where I can train run and gun? Are there any ranges that are down with that, or maybe I should find someone with some land?

To be honest man, to train for "run n gun" you kinda have to train to "run", and also train to "gun". Getting to do both at the same time is going to be on someone's land or at the game itself.

To be honest man, to train for "run n gun" you kinda have to train to "run", and also train to "gun". Getting to do both at the same time is going to be on someone's land or at the game itself.
Depends on what he means by "run and gun". I'd think most people use that term to loosely refer to any action shooting sports. Though it can also be more niche in the run a 5k-10k while also shooting some stages.

You can most certainly run around and train for action shooting (uspsa, 3gun, etc) at pretty much any outdoor range.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

When matches start back up, the uspsa match in Griffin is a good one to get your feet wet. The ones at South River and Riverbend can be pretty intimidating to a first timer. But keep in mind, what they do at Griffin isn't as representative of the sport as the other two matches. It's more like an indoor match that's shot outside.

Andreas, mentioned earlier, is actually teaching a one day class Saturday at South River if you're interested and it's not full. You can find it and sign up on practiscore

River Bend has a Action Pistol match on the third Saturday of every month that is open to the public. It is a great match for the first time shooter. They have a great crowd that is always willing to help, door prizes and lunch included with your entry fee. I think the matches will start up in June, but we are still playing things by ear. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Back
Top Bottom