• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Where to camp...?

How much should i spend on gear? PS - im a cheapskate

• Total voters
Last time I was at low gap. Several car loads of messicans with about 10 kids came up there car camping. They opened and slammed car door all damn night. But hey, Daddy was there. That pic was at Hickey Gap last month. The Forest Rangers gave me a day to leave
Thats nice ive been all over the north part of cohutta. Puttin that one on the list. Any trout or redeyes in there?

I personally like the Georgia State Parks, especially if your going to take the wife and kids. Very clean and organized. Black Rock Mountain is my favorite spot. That or Cloudland Canyon. Lots of things to do and great hiking. I'll do the back country trails if it's just me or there are tons of private spots you can use if you want to get off the grid. GA is s beautiful state.

For little more than what you'll spend on a really nice tent, you could get a passable pop up. I'm guessing that would keep the ladies a bit more comfortable and add at least 3 season camping to the mix. If you're patient, used camping gear can be had for very reasonable money.

Get good gear so their comfortable. Also look at getting some hammocks to sleep in. We quit tent camping years ago in it makes it more fun for the kids. Look at Chattahoochee national forest. Lots of free great spots.

Get good gear so their comfortable. Also look at getting some hammocks to sleep in. We quit tent camping years ago in it makes it more fun for the kids. Look at Chattahoochee national forest. Lots of free great spots.
Chattahoochee for sure, and thumbs up on the hammocks!

Check out joyce Kilmer memorial forest. Probably closed at the moment... but the whole area is fantastic! Several campgrounds nearlake santeetlah. Both near robbinsville nc.

This is a solid resource for a lot of the North GA Forrest service camping areas. And a way to check what all is open.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/conf/recreation/camping-cabins/?recid=10454&actid=29

Bear creek has a wide camping area that doesn't really have creature comforts built in you have to walk 75-250 yards (depends where you set up) from the parking to camp. Although there are great hiking trials there.

There are some good drive up spots throughout the Conasauga ranger district, specifically some on Old CCC Camp rd. In that area is also a place called Mulberry Gap Mountain Bike Getaway (don't have to bike to go enjoy it), which has campgrounds with amenities and cabins. Great folks there too.

Back
Top Bottom