• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

When you pay a gunsmith to ruin your AR10

Hiland Arms Hiland Arms

Just keeps getting better!

The Cerakote doesn’t match from part-to-part. Metal Gear Armory installed his scope before giving the rifle back to him. When he removed the scope, there are patches of Cerakote stuck to the scope tube. Other areas of Cerakote he was able to remove by rubbing with his thumb.

Metal Gear Armory broke a piece of his scope mount. Granted, it’s an Aero, but still......
View attachment 2838989
It appears he spared no expense or expertise at all to screw up this guys rifle.

@JNelson04 here’s the Cerakote job. It was supposed to match the trim ring on the optic.

Hiland Arms Hiland Arms , I know it can be difficult at times to match a specific color with Cerakote, but what say you on this? I consider you to be the Subject Matter Expert!
View attachment 2838973
I just really looked at this when you mentioned the scope mount...the scope mount and the dust cover are two diff blues too

Color is nowhere close. If he thinks so he is color blind to one spectrum, at least.
I would post all on FB, YELP, MYVAGHURTSBAD, OR Whatever other complaint site is popular today.

That looks like Ford blue....anything as screwed up as a ford has to be bad ! Lol.

MYVAGHURTSBAD is my new favorite thing. If that ain’t a complaint website or app already, I’m gonna register that mofo and run it!

Second cousin of mine in SE Ohio dropped off his AR10 .243 Winchester at Metal Gear Armory in Lancaster OH for some Cerakote, as well as addressing a feeding issue. He picked it up recently and sent me pics of the “work” they performed.

-“Drilled out” the gas port to open it up. No idea why this was done, or how well they did it.

-Feed ramps “polished”. They must have meant “Polish” and not “polish”, because they used a Dremel with either a stone or carbide bit. The upper receiver and barrel are ruined and will need to be replaced.
View attachment 2838821

-Castle nut not installed to torque OR staked. It is loose enough for the entire assembly to turn freely back-and-forth.

Metal Gear Armory stated that they did top notch work, and will not compensate the owner in any way.

Vet your Armorer.

Daaaaamn!!!!!! Need to put these A holes on a “Do not do business with” list and attach this post to it.....

Respectfully
Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@JNelson04 here’s the Cerakote job. It was supposed to match the trim ring on the optic.

Hiland Arms Hiland Arms , I know it can be difficult at times to match a specific color with Cerakote, but what say you on this? I consider you to be the Subject Matter Expert!
View attachment 2838973
Matching colors can be a bitch. Especially a small job like that. You can mix something up that matches perfect, then it comes out the oven either darker or lighter.

So yeah, if I'm just doing a few small parts I'm not gonna mix $50 worth of cerakote trial and error for a $50 job. So close enough becomes close enough.

Now if the customer insist it must match perfectly I'll be glad to take the time and charge accordingly but luckily most my customers are not that picky. The ones that are usually go to someone like this guy then come right back to me :lol:
Hiland Arms Hiland Arms

Just keeps getting better!

The Cerakote doesn’t match from part-to-part. Metal Gear Armory installed his scope before giving the rifle back to him. When he removed the scope, there are patches of Cerakote stuck to the scope tube. Other areas of Cerakote he was able to remove by rubbing with his thumb.

Metal Gear Armory broke a piece of his scope mount. Granted, it’s an Aero, but still......
View attachment 2838989
Now that's a different story. The parts you coat should definitely match each other.
This makes me think he's probably using a toaster oven or something and one side is hotter than the other. Would explain why some parts are glossier than others. And it definitely shouldn't flake off with the scope. Probably had that bottle of blue sitting on his shop shelf for 3 years too.
**** work.

Matching colors can be a *****. Especially a small job like that. You can mix something up that matches perfect, then it comes out the oven either darker or lighter.

So yeah, if I'm just doing a few small parts I'm not gonna mix $50 worth of cerakote trial and error for a $50 job. So close enough becomes close enough.

Now if the customer insist it must match perfectly I'll be glad to take the time and charge accordingly but luckily most my customers are not that picky. The ones that are usually go to someone like this guy then come right back to me :lol:

Now that's a different story. The parts you coat should definitely match each other.
This makes me think he's probably using a toaster oven or something and one side is hotter than the other. Would explain why some parts are glossier than others. And it definitely shouldn't flake off with the scope. Probably had that bottle of blue sitting on his shop shelf for 3 years too.
**** work.

Thanks!

Second cousin of mine in SE Ohio dropped off his AR10 .243 Winchester at Metal Gear Armory in Lancaster OH for some Cerakote, as well as addressing a feeding issue. He picked it up recently and sent me pics of the “work” they performed.

-“Drilled out” the gas port to open it up. No idea why this was done, or how well they did it.

-Feed ramps “polished”. They must have meant “Polish” and not “polish”, because they used a Dremel with either a stone or carbide bit. The upper receiver and barrel are ruined and will need to be replaced.
View attachment 2838821

-Castle nut not installed to torque OR staked. It is loose enough for the entire assembly to turn freely back-and-forth.

Metal Gear Armory stated that they did top notch work, and will not compensate the owner in any way.

Vet your Armorer.

Did your cousin pay with a CC? The charge could be disputed if he did. Won't fix the gun but that would be something.

Back
Top Bottom