• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

When you pay a gunsmith to ruin your AR10

cmshoot

Marines Icon
Staff member
194   0
Reaction score
Second cousin of mine in SE Ohio dropped off his AR10 .243 Winchester at Metal Gear Armory in Lancaster OH for some Cerakote, as well as addressing a feeding issue. He picked it up recently and sent me pics of the “work” they performed.

-“Drilled out” the gas port to open it up. No idea why this was done, or how well they did it.

-Feed ramps “polished”. They must have meant “Polish” and not “polish”, because they used a Dremel with either a stone or carbide bit. The upper receiver and barrel are ruined and will need to be replaced.
1EC6D860-B0A7-444D-8A59-CF118498ABA1.jpeg

-Castle nut not installed to torque OR staked. It is loose enough for the entire assembly to turn freely back-and-forth.

Metal Gear Armory stated that they did top notch work, and will not compensate the owner in any way.

Vet your Armorer.

Looks like they took some material out of the lower as well. Looks really thin in the middle.

Yep. Even without that, by grinding the lower they removed the anodized/hardened layer of metal on the feed ramps. The ramps are now soft and won’t hold up to repeated bullet impacts. Ruined in more ways than one.

Second cousin of mine in SE Ohio dropped off his AR10 .243 Winchester at Metal Gear Armory in Lancaster OH for some Cerakote, as well as addressing a feeding issue. He picked it up recently and sent me pics of the “work” they performed.

-“Drilled out” the gas port to open it up. No idea why this was done, or how well they did it.

-Feed ramps “polished”. They must have meant “Polish” and not “polish”, because they used a Dremel with either a stone or carbide bit. The upper receiver and barrel are ruined and will need to be replaced.
View attachment 2838821

-Castle nut not installed to torque OR staked. It is loose enough for the entire assembly to turn freely back-and-forth.

Metal Gear Armory stated that they did top notch work, and will not compensate the owner in any way.

Vet your Armorer.
That is **** work even for an amateur. Lol

View attachment 2838821

Vet your Armorer.
That's sadly comical. I suppose it's true that anyone with YouTube and a Dremel tool can be a "smiff."

Back
Top Bottom