• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

When will you be planting your food plots?

So, how about an update on the food plots. I think most everybody should have better plots this year, since we have had rain and cooler temps. We fertilized ours last Thursday, and they are doing well. Most everything is about 4/5" high and starting to fill in.

Attachments

• 20200927_100355.jpg
    20200927_100355.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 18
Lot's of rain and unseasonably warm this week. I'm thinking yours will be looking pretty darn good by now if not soon.
What was weird is the deer were in the plot literally within the hour after I finished planting and were in it every day since. :confused: (Cell camera overlooking it). I did over seed after I had drug it but they appeared to be feeding. I can only assume they were going through the trouble of picking up the top seed. I had assumed the birds would get most of that as usual but had the extra seed anyway. Last I checked I couldn't find a single seed in view and nothing had sprouted (about a weekd ago) I'm "hoping" what was covered by the drag was sufficient and to your point this warmth and rain will have it popping.. I really wanted to over seed again before this rain but couldn't get there. I'll find out what I have tomorrow or the next day..... Fingers crossed.

What was weird is they were in the plot literally within the hour after I finished planting and were in it every day since. :confused: (Cell camera overlooking it). I did over seed after I had drug it but they appeared to be feeding. I can only assume they were going through the trouble of picking up the top seed. I had assumed the birds would get most of that as usual but had the extra seed anyway. Last I checked I couldn't find a single seed in view and nothing had sprouted (about a weekd ago) I'm "hoping" what was covered by the drag was sufficient and to your point this warmth and rain will have it popping.. I really wanted to over seed again before this rain but couldn't get there. I'll find out what I have tomorrow or the next day..... Fingers crossed.
I believe the same thing happened to me last year. Planted and dragged. No rain for two or three weeks. Fortunately the birds didn't find all of the seed and the food plots turned out pretty good:
IMG_20191128_193429845.jpg
IMG_20191102_164823239.jpg

Back
Top Bottom