• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

When will you be planting your food plots?

Yesterday, sewed my 2 plots thick and hung a new stand in what I believe is gonna be a jam up spot between some crabapple trees and persimmons that are both loaded down and a bedding area.

Wheat, Coker Oats, and purple top turnips. Have always had good luck with them in my plots. Planning to seed them toward the end of next month.
What's your ratio of turnips to grain per acre? One year I way over did it with the turnips and the turnips choked out the wheat and oats. The deer used it sparingly during October and November but oh my, in mid to late December they tore it up, literally. I had several hunts where the deer were digging up the turnips. It sounded like they were eating apples. Since then I've mixed in a few turnips but by December they're usually all pretty much eaten.

Love your avatar by the way. Looks a little like our mutt.
IMG_20200313_133940787.jpg

What's your ratio of turnips to grain per acre? One year I way over did it with the turnips and the turnips choked out the wheat and oats. The deer used it sparingly during October and November but oh my, in mid to late December they tore it up, literally. I had several hunts where the deer were digging up the turnips. It sounded like they were eating apples. Since then I've mixed in a few turnips but by December they're usually all pretty much eaten.

Love your avatar by the way. Looks a little like our mutt.View attachment 2796953
Thanks, our Tater reminds me of my Avatar, that's why I have it. I have two plots that are rather small, probably less than a quarter acre, so I use about a pound and a half per plot. I normally sow 50 lbs. oats and 25 lbs. wheat per plot, drag them under, then hand spread the turnips on top to finish, no dragging on them. I really like the Coker strain of oats best, they seem to hold up better in my soil than anything else I've planted. Don't like rye at all, just my preference. Oh yeah, I also spread 50 lbs. of triple-10 fertilizer before the final drag and before the turnips. With enough rain they put out pretty nicely.........
62755.jpeg
9271.jpeg
20181116_164943.jpg

Back
Top Bottom