• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

When to buy a car.

At least your not in a huge hurry....That's always on your side. I set aside money in 2019 to buy my wife a vehicle. Then Covid hit and been working from home since. Not driving much and the old car is still running well 350K+ on it. Good luck

I know if you are in the car business today is the best day to buy a car. I know right now everything is high and inventory is low. Im not in a hurry. I have a daughter who I will be looking to buy a car for between now and her graduation in May. I want to stay between $10k and $13k and they (my wife and daughter) really like the VW Passat.
I know the market can not stay like this forever. I dont care what interest rates do unless it drives down prices. Do yall see a window to buy. I dont know what the latest climb in covid number may do. I dont know how winter or a new year will effect numbers. Would February be a better time to buy?

As someone who has worked at a shop that specialized in foreign car repair, VW is not anything I would ever own. They may be for some,but I’d suggest a Toyota or a Honda.
Your experience and opinion may vary

As someone who has worked at a shop that specialized in foreign car repair, VW is not anything I would ever own. They may be for some,but I’d suggest a Toyota or a Honda.
Your experience and opinion may vary

100% correct. I worked for a VW Audi dealership for 14 years the cars are money pits.

I’m a fairly savvy shopper but the traditional “best time to buy” rules prolly won’t apply for at-least the near term

The car industry is in uncharted territory due to hyper inflation and COVID
Did you mean "The car industry is in uncharted territory due to hyper inflation and the 'intentionally destructive draconian responses to the whuhan virus'" ??

You are dead on correct....
I was in new and used car sales for almost 10 years and I couldn't agree with this statement more. Even with single cylinder generator and pump motors Honda rules. With Toyota being close if not equal to Honda. Even when I was a car salesman and got my car to drive through them ( free demo ) if I bought a car it was a couple year old model to avoid taking a massive hit on depreciation. The very best time to buy new is at the end of the year when dealers are willing to take a loss on a few units to hit there projected unit sales bonus. Used cars will fluctuate depending on how the value is holding on new cars after the sale. Pick up truck pricing is crazy high right now. I haven't looked into the used car market lately.
I totaled a truck last year and shopped forever for a replacement. My dad took care of his truck meticulously and gave it to me after he died. It was a graphite 02 Ram with 20's all factory. Beautiful truck. The same trucks I got 7500 for from the insurance people were asking 12 and 13,500 for them. I stumbled into a 2004 GMC 4WD with 42,000 miles with not one scratch on it. 8,400 and I felt like I robbed a bank to get that deal. Moral of the story is take your time and wait, wait, wait until the right deal comes your way. It might take time but it will happen. It's when you set out on a specific day and only give yourself that day to buy a car is when you get taken to the cleaners or make s hasty decision and get a lemon. Honda and Toyota hold there value very firmly so be prepared for sticker shock on those pre owned cars.

Lots of great info. Time is definitely on my side. Just have to remind my wife and daughter we aren’t in a hurry.
Going to research the VW. Daughter is currently driving an 08 beetle that my sister bought new. I think it’s around 145k and not had real issues.
I work in a shop as well and we don’t see a lot of VW’s because there simply aren’t a lot of them in our area.
My wife had a Camry and I have a tundra. The fact I see so many Toyota’s with such high mileage is why we have them. Of course my wife’s Camry is a 19. At 14000 the fuel pump had to be replaced. At 26000 the Bridgestone tires began separating. Guess everything can fail.
Going to keep my eyes open and my mind open as well

I was in new and used car sales for almost 10 years and I couldn't agree with this statement more. Even with single cylinder generator and pump motors Honda rules. With Toyota being close if not equal to Honda. Even when I was a car salesman and got my car to drive through them ( free demo ) if I bought a car it was a couple year old model to avoid taking a massive hit on depreciation. The very best time to buy new is at the end of the year when dealers are willing to take a loss on a few units to hit there projected unit sales bonus. Used cars will fluctuate depending on how the value is holding on new cars after the sale. Pick up truck pricing is crazy high right now. I haven't looked into the used car market lately.
I totaled a truck last year and shopped forever for a replacement. My dad took care of his truck meticulously and gave it to me after he died. It was a graphite 02 Ram with 20's all factory. Beautiful truck. The same trucks I got 7500 for from the insurance people were asking 12 and 13,500 for them. I stumbled into a 2004 GMC 4WD with 42,000 miles with not one scratch on it. 8,400 and I felt like I robbed a bank to get that deal. Moral of the story is take your time and wait, wait, wait until the right deal comes your way. It might take time but it will happen. It's when you set out on a specific day and only give yourself that day to buy a car is when you get taken to the cleaners or make s hasty decision and get a lemon. Honda and Toyota hold there value very firmly so be prepared for sticker shock on those pre owned cars.

Hondas over all have better gas mileage..
but for the vehicle with the least amount of problems I believe toyota wins..
honda close 2nd..
I worked on cars close to 40 years.. owned many Hondas many toyotas and many other brands..

toyota 1..

honda 1-b

Hondas over all have better gas mileage..
but for the vehicle with the least amount of problems I believe toyota wins..
honda close 2nd..
I worked on cars close to 40 years.. owned many Hondas many toyotas and many other brands..

toyota 1..

honda 1-b
I won't argue with that. I just like Honda engines/ motors. Especially the single cylinder ones. They are smooth, reliable and last a good long time if taken care of.

Back
Top Bottom