• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

When did the Leatherman Sidekick become a $60 tool?

rbstern

Hen of Fame Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
115   0
Reaction score
Bought mine when they first came out in 2011, on a holiday promo of $29. Have been carrying it most days since. The one-handed knife opening + multi-tool functionality, with the Leatherman name, for a low price, seemed like a revelation at the time. The integrated wood saw is also a very good tool for hunting and gardening. I don't love the rest of the tools, but they work in a pinch, for what they are.

My one real beef with the Sidekick is that it doesn't hold an edge well, despite the 420HC. Have a Wingman model as well, and it's the same in that regard. I don't think Leatherman's 420HC is as good as Buck's. So, I just suck it up and sharpen it more frequently, because the form factor of the knife and tool work so well for me.

Was browsing knives and multi-tools recently and saw this tool is now nearly $60. I wouldn't pay that for one, unless the knife has improved. It's just not good enough for that price.

Any thoughts on the tool and the value, relative to other choices? Anyone have a recent one with better knife sharpening characteristics?

Bought mine when they first came out in 2011, on a holiday promo of $29. Have been carrying it most days since. The one-handed knife opening + multi-tool functionality, with the Leatherman name, for a low price, seemed like a revelation at the time. The integrated wood saw is also a very good tool for hunting and gardening. I don't love the rest of the tools, but they work in a pinch, for what they are.

My one real beef with the Sidekick is that it doesn't hold an edge well, despite the 420HC. Have a Wingman model as well, and it's the same in that regard. I don't think Leatherman's 420HC is as good as Buck's. So, I just suck it up and sharpen it more frequently, because the form factor of the knife and tool work so well for me.

Was browsing knives and multi-tools recently and saw this tool is now nearly $60. I wouldn't pay that for one, unless the knife has improved. It's just not good enough for that price.

Any thoughts on the tool and the value, relative to other choices? Anyone have a recent one with better knife sharpening characteristics?

I've had good luck with the Gerber models. But it's been so long since I bought one I have no idea of the price range.

I have one Gerger multi-tool, and the knife is superior in sharpness and sharpenability to the Leatherman (by a lot), but the form factor of the tool sucks in comparison to the Sidekick, so I never carry it.

I have one Gerger multi-tool, and the knife is superior in sharpness and sharpenability to the Leatherman (by a lot), but the form factor of the tool sucks in comparison to the Sidekick, so I never carry it.

Ive always considered these things as tackle box and truck door pocket tools. They don’t carry well at all for me.

Based on what you apparently like about it, have you considered...
https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-One-Hand-Trekker-Multi-Tool-Pocket/dp/B078GLWN79
I carry one (camo version).

I EDC a Leatherman Wingman on my belt in a Gearcraft custom holster (the Leatherman one is kind of floppy and sloppy looking). I don't use the blade as much as the other tools, but have not had any issues with it. The price of all of them has crept up, I think I paid about $60 for the one I drop shipped to Gearcraft to have the holster made. Which was more than I remember paying for the original one.

gerber suspension multi tool, 20 bucks at home depot right now, with a kydex holster i got off amazon. knife stays plenty sharp. need to pick up another as after over a year of using it for my maintenance gig (sparingly used though, not acting like i use a multi tool screwdriver when i have a battery impact i can use haha) and i finally broke half the tip of the flathead screwdriver attachment. still usable though.

Back
Top Bottom