• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What's your diet and exercise plan?

I'm not gonna call my diet Keto because that might trigger a particular member here so I'll just say what I've been eating for the past 10 months.

Mostly clean meats, grass fed beef, pasture raised chickens and eggs, lost of venison, variety of wild caught fish but mostly salmon.

Lots of cruciferous veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts) usually a little bit of either mushrooms or onions with them.

Lots of avocado, coconut, olives, olive oil, avocado oil, and Ghee.

Moderate amount of berries (mostly raspberries) and moderate amount of nuts (mostly macadamia)

Unsweetened coffee and chocolate.

For dirty snacks or cheats I eat pork skins or keto ice cream. Could do without either of those but a treat is nice.

Most of these foods are calorie dense, and I don't bother counting calories. Pretty much just don't eat carbs or any weird stuff.

This diet combined with walking Thor almost every day and intermittent fasting has helped me lose 90lbs in about 8 months.

I want to start working on building muscle and cardio now. Planning on getting some battle ropes and a power rack in my garage.
Just wanna be leaner and stronger.
Congratulations! doesn’t it feel wonderful.

KETO.png

I'm not gonna call my diet Keto because that might trigger a particular member here so I'll just say what I've been eating for the past 10 months.

Mostly clean meats, grass fed beef, pasture raised chickens and eggs, lost of venison, variety of wild caught fish but mostly salmon.

Lots of cruciferous veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts) usually a little bit of either mushrooms or onions with them.

Lots of avocado, coconut, olives, olive oil, avocado oil, and Ghee.

Moderate amount of berries (mostly raspberries) and moderate amount of nuts (mostly macadamia)

Unsweetened coffee and chocolate.

For dirty snacks or cheats I eat pork skins or keto ice cream. Could do without either of those but a treat is nice.

Most of these foods are calorie dense, and I don't bother counting calories. Pretty much just don't eat carbs or any weird stuff.

This diet combined with walking Thor almost every day and intermittent fasting has helped me lose 90lbs in about 8 months.

I want to start working on building muscle and cardio now. Planning on getting some battle ropes and a power rack in my garage.
Just wanna be leaner and stronger.

A lot of good information in this thread.
I changed my eating just a little because my weight loss stalled for a few weeks. I still eat the same foods and amounts just spread out into smaller portions, more often. Now I'm losing weight again.
Changed my workout some to. I go up in weight with each set, before I would do my sets with the same amount of weight increasing the amount of weight when I could 3 sets of 20 reps. I am being cautious because both rotator cuffs have been overhauled.

I have my first physical in 10 years in the morning. I have cut out sugary and carbonated drinks from my diet, I work 3rd so this has been very hard. Limiting carbs and intermittent fasting. Started working out at least every other day. Heart disease runs in my family. Mt dad had two heart attacks. One at 38 and one at 48, the one at 48 killed him. I'm 36 now and I am taller than my dad was, but I carry a lot of weight in my midsection. My wife and I have declared that for our 14th wedding anniversary (last week) that we were going to give each other the gift of health. We haven't gone to doctor's appts in the past due to crappy insurance and not enough money. That is not an excuse now. I have been to the dentist for the first time in years (no cavities). I have a doctor's appt tomorrow. A dermatologist appt in December to remove some moles, and a chiropractor appt soon to try and work on some of my back issues.

I'm nervous, to say the least about the doctor's appt, I know it won't be good. I'm 6'0" and 233 pounds, the heaviest I have ever been in my life. I was 210 at the beginning of the year, and 170 when I got married. I have to do this though if I want to see my kids grow up. I was 10 when my dad died and that's the age of my middle child, and I have never truly gotten over it.

This is a rambling post and probably a little incoherent, but it's nice to have some accountability. My goal is to lose 50 pounds by June, which is when we are going to Disney. I'll keep updating in this thread my progress and my setbacks.

I have my first physical in 10 years in the morning. I have cut out sugary and carbonated drinks from my diet, I work 3rd so this has been very hard. Limiting carbs and intermittent fasting. Started working out at least every other day. Heart disease runs in my family. Mt dad had two heart attacks. One at 38 and one at 48, the one at 48 killed him. I'm 36 now and I am taller than my dad was, but I carry a lot of weight in my midsection. My wife and I have declared that for our 14th wedding anniversary (last week) that we were going to give each other the gift of health. We haven't gone to doctor's appts in the past due to crappy insurance and not enough money. That is not an excuse now. I have been to the dentist for the first time in years (no cavities). I have a doctor's appt tomorrow. A dermatologist appt in December to remove some moles, and a chiropractor appt soon to try and work on some of my back issues.

I'm nervous, to say the least about the doctor's appt, I know it won't be good. I'm 6'0" and 233 pounds, the heaviest I have ever been in my life. I was 210 at the beginning of the year, and 170 when I got married. I have to do this though if I want to see my kids grow up. I was 10 when my dad died and that's the age of my middle child, and I have never truly gotten over it.

This is a rambling post and probably a little incoherent, but it's nice to have some accountability. My goal is to lose 50 pounds by June, which is when we are going to Disney. I'll keep updating in this thread my progress and my setbacks.
Be aware that doctors do not study nutrition in medical school. They are largely no more knowledgeable than the gen public and far less knowledgeable than anyone who has put any amount of study into the subject. They will advise that you follow the food pyramid and consume three meals and snacks daily. This is a formula for diabetes, heart disease, stroke, obesity. It is designed to enrich the medical community and provide a constant stream of customers for easily grown commodities such as wheat, corn, soy beans.
let me say good for you for deciding to make changes in your health.
sugar elimination, drastic carb reduction, OMAD or time restricted eating will get you there.
if you watch YouTube, look for Siim Land, Ken Eckbern, Dr, Berg, low carb down under, or just search Keto and one meal a day.
I am not a doctor so this should not be taken as medical advice, blah, blah…
best of luck. I turned 60 weighing 250 at 6’1”. at 65 I weigh 175.

An entire childhood of sports activities and the last 13 years of my adult life has been spent as combat arms in the military. What I have learned a long the way is, as you said, there is no "one size fits all" recipe for success. Everyone is different. However, after having been an Army Drill Sergeant for three years, what I learned was this:

- 80% of weight loss is what you eat and nothing else. Maintaining a caloric deficit is key to shedding the pounds. if your BMI measures at burning 1700 calories per day, and you eat 2100 calories a day, you'll have to exercise and burn that additional 400 calories. If you don't, the math just doesn't add up and you'll gain weight.
- fasted cardio seems to kick start a metabolism and forces the body to tap into fat reserves for needed energy. Doing cardio before eating your first meal or cardio on an empty stomach of at least 4 hours after eating will help almost anyone lose weight.
- Integrating 3-4 days a week of some type of physical training (weight lifting, calisthenics, light intensity exercises, etc.) can help build strength of not just muscles, but ligaments, joints and increase quality of life (stronger core supports better posture and gets rid of lower back pain, knee and shoulder mobility increased, etc.).
- Have a plan and stick to it. The 2 week results are for celebrities with millions and kids between the ages of 16-24. For the rest of us, results take time and it requires us to stick to a schedule.

I hope this helps for anyone looking to get regain control of their health and achieve whatever their goals are.

Well done on your weight loss and getting back into shape. Keep up the good work.

Be aware that doctors do not study nutrition in medical school. They are largely no more knowledgeable than the gen public and far less knowledgeable than anyone who has put any amount of study into the subject. They will advise that you follow the food pyramid and consume three meals and snacks daily. This is a formula for diabetes, heart disease, stroke, obesity. It is designed to enrich the medical community and provide a constant stream of customers for easily grown commodities such as wheat, corn, soy beans.
let me say good for you for deciding to make changes in your health.
sugar elimination, drastic carb reduction, OMAD or time restricted eating will get you there.
if you watch YouTube, look for Siim Land, Ken Eckbern, Dr, Berg, low carb down under, or just search Keto and one meal a day.
I am not a doctor so this should not be taken as medical advice, blah, blah…
best of luck. I turned 60 weighing 250 at 6’1”. at 65 I weigh 175.
Not going there for the nutrition advice. Going there to make sure my heart health is in check and to run my blood work for any issues and to check my testosterone.

I’m 50 and have lost and maintained 70 pounds lost on Keto. The majority was lost in 7 months and maintained since. 20 grams of carbs, 1800 calories, 70-75% of calories from fat. I workout 4 days a week for 1 hour with weight machines and a few free weights for tone and definition. I’m maintaining 180 pounds, down from 250.

I'm 45, have BP issues, but other than that, everything else seems to be working fine. I'll second someone's comment earlier that there's good information in this thread. Glad someone created the thread.

Diet
  • I try and eat "clean". By that I mean if it comes in a can or the ingredient list contains anything that I don't recognize as growing in the wild, I usually pass. I not perfect about it, but I do a pretty good job of it.
  • I don't have any issues getting my fill of water, 3-4 quarts a day. I read somewhere 1 oz of water per pound of body weight is fine.
  • I don't drink alcohol much, like once every 2-8 weeks depending on what's going on, let's say that averages once a month. When I drink though, I put'em back.
  • I don't do drugs other than smoke pot every once in a while. Been a year or so since the last time I got stoned for perspective.
  • I have a sweet tooth; it gets serviced.

Cardio
  • I run 5x week. That's around 23 miles in total; I'm trying to creep it up to 30 miles a week.
    • Most of it (80-90%) is long and slow, but I do include speed work.
    • The speed work consists sprints, distance for speed (like 1 or 2 miles for time), negative splits and interval type work.
  • I'll work a heavy bag 1-2x a week (30 mins in total each session; set up like intervals). That's not every week, but say 2, maybe 3 weeks out of a 4-week cycle. I boxed earlier in my life so that helps tremendously.

Strength
I workout 3x a week alternating these two workouts
  1. Pullups, bench, overhead press, deadlift, then ancillary back, shoulder and bicep work. Lower ab and oblique work
  2. Pullups, push ups, overhead press, squat, then ancillary shoulder and tricep work. Upper ab and oblique work
*** This pertains to the overhead press, deadlift and squat. On Monday and Friday, I'll work 3-4 sets of 5 reps for max weight. On Wednesdays, I'll work 3-4 sets, lower weight higher reps.
*** I workout of my basement and other than the running, squats and deadlifts, I don't do any leg work. I would though if I had the equipment or went to a gym.

There's my 2 cents. Hope it helps someone out.

Back
Top Bottom