• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What's your diet and exercise plan?

Let me start by saying this: I'm in maintenance mode now in so far as I'm not trying to lose weight but I am still progressing in my workout routine. I'm 5'7", 145 lbs, 17%BF.
My nutrition breakdown is 2200-2500 calories per day broken down to 1/3 split between protein, fat and carbs averaged week to week.
As far as my eating plan, my breakfast and lunch are pretty much the same every day.
Breakfast is a 1-egg and 1/2 cup egg white omelette with 1/2 cup fresh bell peppers, 1/2 cup fresh chopped onions, 1/2 cup frozen spinach, 1/3 cup mushrooms, 1/3 cup shredded cheese, 1/2 avocado, and 2 tablespoons of pickled jalapenos. I split the omelette, half for breakfast and half for lunch which works out to 250 calories per half. Also for breakfast, I have 1/2 cup of rolled oats, with 1 tsp of pure maple syrup and 1 tsp of cinnamon and half of a banana for another 260 calories adding up to 600 calories for the meal.
Mid morning snack is a 200 calorie protein shake.
Lunch is the other half of the omelette and then a cup of lite greek yogurt mixed with 1/4 cup of granola. Then a 1/4 cup of trail mix. Calories: 650
Mid afternoon snack is fruit of some sort, cantaloupe, strawberries, apple, whatever strikes my fancy. Adds up to around 200 calories again.
Dinner varies but I definitely try to load it with protein. 6-8 ounces of chicken, beef, seafood or pork. Carbs can be brown rice, quinoa, sweet potato or simple protein pasta. There's always veggies, brussel sprouts, asparagus, broccoli, etc. Desert is another lite greek yogurt with granola and maybe another trail mix chaser.
My drinks consist of water (lots), black coffee, hot tea or LaCroix (yes, angry water). Oh, and a protein shake... I'll drink at least 72 ounces of water every day. Hell, most days I'll have downed 48 ounces of water before I leave the gym!

My workouts: I work a 6 day split with Monday's as my rest day. I am at the gym at 0510 and leave at 0650 during the week and always do a fasting workout (mostly because I don't want to puke!). So, if we say my week starts on a Tuesday, it goes like this:
Every morning starts with at least 2 miles on the elliptical to get the blood pumping. Usually around 15 minutes. Then I do 20 minutes of mat work, yoga, lots of stretching, 2-two and a half minute planks (with a 10lb plate on my lower back), and some dynamic exercises (shoulder tap planks, horizontal leg lifts, push-ups, etc.) Rounding out my warm-ups is machine based ab work: torso-twists, ab pullover or forward rows. Then:

Day 1: Upper body which is either:
Shoulders and Lats (push pull) OR
Chest and Back (push pull) Depends on which week I'm on, it alternates.
Day 2 (Wednesday): Mid-Lower body:
Hips (hip abductor and adductor) and butt (kicks)
Day 3 (Thursday): Upper Body which is whatever I didn't work on Tuesday
Day 4 (Friday): Lower Body:
Long muscles: Quads, hams, calf, and glutes. This is leg press, leg extension, hamstring curls, calf raises.
Day 5 (Saturday) I'm at the gym around 0715 and leave around 10. This is the day I do a full 5K on the elliptical. Best time is just under 20 minutes.
This is the same split that I did Tuesday except I add drop-sets. I'll do 3x10x max rep weight. Then drop 30% weight and up the reps to at least 15 or to fatigue.
Day 6 (Sunday) Lower body, under the bar (squats, sumo-squats, deadlifts, hip thrusts). I do an extended mat session with pelvic thrusts, horizontal leg raises and side planks. Wrapping up with a ton of kettlebell swings (like 50@30 lbs).
This is why I take Monday off... if I've done it right, I can't walk for the next 48 hours!

When we were in our late teens, a doctor put a buddy of mine on a1000 cal/day diet. Kid was 5’10” and 250 lbs.
like to have killed him.

’course his chosen 1000 cal was 7 shots of scotch per day.

I will share my personal experience over the last 9 months.

1. Changed the WAY I eat. Started Intermittent Fasting. Only eat from 1pm to 8pm.
2. Quit alcohol.
3. Stopped eating Fried Foods.
4. Avoid ADDED SUGARS in my food. (Total sugars in food is okay, but avoid the ADDED SUGARS)
5. Try to keep Carb intake on the lower side.
6. Moderation NOT Elimination.

7. 4 day per week 30 minute lifting.
8. 30 - 45 min Treadmill/Walk to maximize Fat Burn after Weight Lifting, 4 days per week or more.

Lost 60 lbs, gained muscle, gained confidence, sharpened my mind and gained focus.

It does not matter why you want to do it, just start something ...... and see what happens. You will have small successes and then build on those successes. I am now changing my exercise routine up as I have plateaued, but that was expected. Need to keep adapting and changing to your situation, etc.

1632916350519.png

At 62 now with a lifetime of weight control behind me, the most concise lesson I can share is that you cannot out exercise a bad diet.

I am 5' 11" @ 186 lbs. - by the typical BMI I calculators I am overweight - my standard for my ideal weight is for my waist to be half or less than my height, so in my case I am 71" tall and should have a 35.5" waist. I am at 35" so I feel fine and look proportional. I have weighed as much as 210 lbs., particularly in the period after smoking cessation.

After I quit smoking a dozen years ago I began a decade of penance through diet and exercise.

I log all of my daily intake (including alcohol when I do have a drink). I aim for 1675 clean calories daily as a standard and have cheat days, not in eating crap food but quantity. My diet contains the appropriate micronutrients to nourish my body.

I work out 4 days a week, sometimes 5 - I begin every early morning session with a mile run and then a brisk cool down mile walk at an incline on the treadmill. Then on to the weight machines for 45 minutes - nothing crazy at my age but I have good tone, strength and most importantly balance and core strength. During my physical last month, my long time doctor commented that I was in good shape. I said, for an old guy, to which he replied, for any age.

I am on medicine for high cholesterol and I monitor my BP 3 times daily - it is beginning to trend higher and I am working to control naturally rather than through medication. My doctor agrees.

The other advice I would offer is, if you fall off the wagon in eating or workout sessions, don't regress to old habits, simply pick up where you left off and start again. Life is not linear.

I wish I had begun to respect and honor my health at a much younger age, but I can say firsthand, it is never too late to begin to rebuild your body - they are amazingly resilient machines designed by what I know to be a higher power.

I am 74, first diagnosed with hbp while in college for a summer job physical. I weighed about 165 then at six feet tall.
Have taken bp meds for over 50 years. I never considered myself high-strung or a type A personality. Biggest change in bp was when I retired and cut stress. Went from 140/95, down to 120/80, still on same meds, but much more normal now. Oh, I weigh about 290 now, and have for past 10 years or so.

My wife and I have been on the Keto diet now for 3 full months. I was 220 on day 1, I am now 201 and seemed to have hit a plateau. The biggest hurdle we faced was cutting out the BREADS! I discovered this Company and it helped fill the gap with toast and pizza, which helped keep us on track:
1632923513253.png

At 62 now with a lifetime of weight control behind me, the most concise lesson I can share is that you cannot out exercise a bad diet.

I am 5' 11" @ 186 lbs. - by the typical BMI I calculators I am overweight - my standard for my ideal weight is for my waist to be half or less than my height, so in my case I am 71" tall and should have a 35.5" waist. I am at 35" so I feel fine and look proportional. I have weighed as much as 210 lbs., particularly in the period after smoking cessation.

After I quit smoking a dozen years ago I began a decade of penance through diet and exercise.

I log all of my daily intake (including alcohol when I do have a drink). I aim for 1675 clean calories daily as a standard and have cheat days, not in eating crap food but quantity. My diet contains the appropriate micronutrients to nourish my body.

I work out 4 days a week, sometimes 5 - I begin every early morning session with a mile run and then a brisk cool down mile walk at an incline on the treadmill. Then on to the weight machines for 45 minutes - nothing crazy at my age but I have good tone, strength and most importantly balance and core strength. During my physical last month, my long time doctor commented that I was in good shape. I said, for an old guy, to which he replied, for any age.

I am on medicine for high cholesterol and I monitor my BP 3 times daily - it is beginning to trend higher and I am working to control naturally rather than through medication. My doctor agrees.

The other advice I would offer is, if you fall off the wagon in eating or workout sessions, don't regress to old habits, simply pick up where you left off and start again. Life is not linear.

I wish I had begun to respect and honor my health at a much younger age, but I can say firsthand, it is never too late to begin to rebuild your body - they are amazingly resilient machines designed by what I know to be a higher power.
First, you hit the nail on the head! Everything revolves around nutrition. You have to fuel your body with the correct foods or you'll be spinning your wheels.
That being said, I'm surprised that your caloric intake is so low. Have you calculated your RMR? I know mine is 1550 calories and with my workout and activity, my maintenance is 2200.

Lastly, forget about BMI. It's a wholly outdated and completely inaccurate measure of health. If my mentor used BMI, he would be listed as obese, he's 6'2", 235 pounds... but his BF is 16%! Use an online body fat calculator, measure the key areas, input it and use that result as your indicator.

65 years old. 6’1”, 178 pounds. I bought a Doberman pup in February. I walk 6 miles a day to exercise her. I have also started working out with resistance bands. have been doing stretch and core strengthening exercises to help a back problem I have. Going to start HIIT 3 days a week beginning Monday, alternating days with resistance. Would like to drop about 20-25 more pounds. All my numbers are good. BP usually around 112/67, 52 BPM resting. chemistry has always been good except for sugar a bit high, have not had that checked in about 16 months so not sure where I am on that but pretty sure it has dropped. I have been on OMAD and low carb for a couple of years. Was right at 250 pounds when I started.
main concerns are Alzheimer’s, stroke, family history for both. I believe both are controllable through diet and exercise.
my main motivation was observing people in the facilities that mom and dad passed away at. The ones that struggled the most are definitely those who are obese or borderline.
as mentioned above, cutting sugar and then carbs will give you a great bang for the buck. Watch some YouTube on OMAD, it sucks for the first three days or so but has tremendous health impact, especially if you have been overweight or are overweight and want to restore insulin sensitivity.
and of course don’t begin any exercise or diet without consulting your health care provider, blah, blah……
best wishes.

I'm not gonna call my diet Keto because that might trigger a particular member here so I'll just say what I've been eating for the past 10 months.

Mostly clean meats, grass fed beef, pasture raised chickens and eggs, lost of venison, variety of wild caught fish but mostly salmon.

Lots of cruciferous veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts) usually a little bit of either mushrooms or onions with them.

Lots of avocado, coconut, olives, olive oil, avocado oil, and Ghee.

Moderate amount of berries (mostly raspberries) and moderate amount of nuts (mostly macadamia)

Unsweetened coffee and chocolate.

For dirty snacks or cheats I eat pork skins or keto ice cream. Could do without either of those but a treat is nice.

Most of these foods are calorie dense, and I don't bother counting calories. Pretty much just don't eat carbs or any weird stuff.

This diet combined with walking Thor almost every day and intermittent fasting has helped me lose 90lbs in about 8 months.

I want to start working on building muscle and cardio now. Planning on getting some battle ropes and a power rack in my garage.
Just wanna be leaner and stronger.

Back
Top Bottom