• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What's up with this bond repo market?

crmorse

Default rank <200 posts
Hunter
9   0
Reaction score
I'm really having a hard time wrapping my head around this. I've researched what it is (bond repurchase agreements used by banks for short-term lending) but that really doesn't tell me what this signal is all about.

ZeroHedge has been posting a series of stories for nearly a week like this is the 4th horseman of the apocalypse but nobody else seems to be talking about it at all. Is this really something serious or just more doom-and-gloom baiting by the ZH crowd?

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/ny-fed-starts-new-quarter-unexpectedly-high-55bn-repo-operation

It's definitely not a good thing, it's a big sign of an impending bubble burst for the central banks. I think we'll see some recession but it's hard to say if it will be as bad as 08 or not. But then again the market makes no sense and those guys will still manage to make money no matter which way it goes.

From what I can tell, it is. But as they say, "even a blind squirrel..." I was actively listening to financial news shows back when '08 happened. But I don't anymore --and there really isn't a real news show anymore anyway-- so I feel out of the loop on this one. Something about it just rubs me as a deep fissure about to open up but since the only site reporting on it seems to me to be negatively biased anyway I want to check myself that I'm not falling for it because I just want to (confirmation bias).

So that's why I'm asking the braintrust here for more insights.

So can anyone explain what this is? I got bonds. But repo bonds?

Apparently not enough cash reserve or something?

Back
Top Bottom