• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Whats up with Moog ball joints?

I don't know, but anytime a ball joint is making lots of noise I replace it. Made the mistake of letting it go for too long once. Very big mistake.

Sounds like bad qc and out of spec parts.

I still buy moug control arms, Pittman and idler arms.
They have 2 styles of balljoints, one is more OE and the other is a little beefier thats called problem solved. The problem solvers don't seem to fit perfectly but I've not had any to bust. Timken is what I try to use but I'm hearing some people say CR is just as good.
I redid the front end on my F150 with the heavier line, no problems so far, fair amount of off road stuff.

Ive heard rumors that Moog quality is not what it to be especially with ball joints

I really wanted to put Spicer ball joints on my XJ Jeep but nobody carries them in any of the main or mom and pop auto stores so I opted for Moog since they were the best anyone had.

My mistake.

The upper ball joint taper leaves a gap about 3/4” between the joint and the knuckle .
The factory gap is maybe 1/4” and that his taken up by the grease boot.
So I took a test drive and sure enough the upper joint is stressed due to this firms that and was popping when in gear and rocking from drive to reverse then braking and some popping while normal driving.

I double and triple checked the part humber and application and read several reviews where people complained of this same issue.
In all cases everyone recommended the Spicer joints.

I’ll be ordering a set.
Luckily I only installed the drivers side and can return the other two joints I did not use.

Ive also heard that those moog joints are only good for a few thousand miles before they’re toast.
Weird.

If you plan on keeping the Jeep, skip the Spicers and buy EMF ball joints. Nothing at all against the Spicer, but watch a video or look at the forums and you’ll understand why. I got turned on to them when I used them on my Cummins. Fully rebuildable in the housing, lifetime warranty, you can tighten the up as they wear in and IF you ever go through them you remove the cap and replace the pin and race. 500k documented on a Cummins and still tight. Your call but there are better options!

He made is name on the Jeeps and off-road forums by word of mouth.

If you plan on keeping the Jeep, skip the Spicers and buy EMF ball joints. Nothing at all against the Spicer, but watch a video or look at the forums and you’ll understand why. I got turned on to them when I used them on my Cummins. Fully rebuildable in the housing, lifetime warranty, you can tighten the up as they wear in and IF you ever go through them you remove the cap and replace the pin and race. 500k documented on a Cummins and still tight. Your call but there are better options!

He made is name on the Jeeps and off-road forums by word of mouth.

Interesting.
Ok have to check them out.
Already ordered the spicers so hopefully they’ll last the 300-K that my originals did....if I’m lucky.

I replaced all the ball joints with moog on my 2000 4WD ford Explorer about 2 years and 2,000 miles ago. Explorer only has 100k on it now but rubber boots were cracking. Got them form Rock auto at good prices. Replaced all the front stabilizer bar bushings - they were really shot. Explorer has not ever been off road. So far so good.

I replaced the lower ball joints on my FJ Cruiser with Moog Problem Solvers and they've been good so far. I'll definitely watch them closely as I have heard a couple people complain about them on their Toyotas.

Back
Top Bottom