• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What's the difference...

Just1more

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Retired
220   0
Reaction score
what's the difference between a hybrid suppressor and a suppressor that works with several different calibers? The silencerco sparrow 22 I purchased says it works with 22lr, 22mag, .17HMR and 5.7. So is it a hybrid?

I think a hybrid suppressor is designed to be used on different platforms including pistols, rifles, SMGs, etc. -- no matter what the caliber. May be rated for magnum, full auto, etc. as well.

Other suppressors might be multi-caliber, but they are still intended for only pistols, for instance (something that suppresses .45, 9mm, .22, etc.). But if you tried shooting a .45-70 Gov out of it, bad things would happen.

I think a hybrid suppressor is designed to be used on different platforms including pistols, rifles, SMGs, etc. -- no matter what the caliber. May be rated for magnum, full auto, etc. as well.

Other suppressors might be multi-caliber, but they are still intended for only pistols, for instance (something that suppresses .45, 9mm, .22, etc.). But if you tried shooting a .45-70 Gov out of it, bad things would happen.

Gotcha...so the one I bought will work fine on my M&p 22 compact pistol but shouldn't be used on my M&p 15-22 rifle?

there are a few companies that are marketing suppressors as "hybrid" in that they work for a variety of calibers. But basically it's just a larger diameter rifle suppressor in most cases. The issue with the "hybrid" is if you use it on a pistol it's just overkill and very heavy/long depending upon the style.

SilencerCo and Griffin I think are making "hybrid" cans.

Pretty much all other cans are usually compatible with at least a few calibers. My 45 pistol can (Dead Air Ghost) is fine with 9mm, 40 S&W, 10mm, 45 ACP, 45 Colt, 44 Special, 22lr, 380, 300 AAC Blackout subsonic, etc. etc.

My 22 Mask is compatible with 22lr, 5.7FN, 22 mag, 17 HMR, and probably a few other small diameter calibers, but as someone mentioned, shoot it with an AR15 in 5.56 and it'll probably blow up.

So your Sparrow 22 suppressor is fine with any 22lr rifle or pistol. So the M&P 15/22 is fine, your pistol is fine, etc.

Look at the ratings for the suppressor on the company website. If it lists your caliber, and no specific instructions by it, you should be good to go. For instance my 45 Ghost will shoot SUBSONIC 300 blackout, but is not rated for supersonic 300 blackout. Same for 44 special or 44 mag subsonic, not full tilt 44 mag loads. Most of the other calibers there's no restrictions.

I always thought the term hybrid meant it had direct thread AND section you could put a pistol booster(piston...Nielsen device) in. So depending on the rating of the can you could use it on Pistols and rifles. So companies use the word hybrid and some use modular.

A 22 can is usually just a 22 can. No real need for a hybrid in 22 as most every 22 pistol has a fixed barrel. So there’s no need for a piston You just direct thread it on to anything that’s threaded. It being rated for 22...17...5.7 doesn’t mean it’s a hybrid.

Back
Top Bottom