• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Whats so bad about 7.5 223 ar pistols?

Endless, mindless, arguments over a barbie doll.

No ones arguing. I guess I am by the nature of my post, but its not mindless. Op asked for opinions. At the end of the day, you can want something just because you want it. That’s a good enough reason right there.

I shoot with a can. I also don't load fmj for any sort of defense. All of my mags that are go ready are loaded with soft tip bonded ammo.

I'm more of a hit and drop em kind of guy. Not a make a lot of noise and flash and hope to scare em kind of guy. You probably think that an intruder will hear you racking a shotgun and run scared too. I'm more of a keep a round chambered and introduce myself with a slug believer.

By all means, if you like making loud noises and fireballs, go for it. I prefer effectiveness myself
man
you sure did glean a lot of info about me from that post. you must work for the psychic network. not everyone hand loads,most buy. most buy fmj, you should look into something with a little bigger bullet. 556 will only expand so much. i wish you had not pointed out to everyone on the odt about my shotgun tactics. i was thinking psychics had a code of ethics/non disclosure.
but since you let the cat out of the bag,i dont even load my shotgun. i just chase intruders thru the house racking and dry firing it..
i hope to grow up and be just like you.

DFA8D1FD-1035-4A6D-B8DE-7A8AF5A74254.jpeg

NSWC Crane did all this testing long ago. They found that for a 5.56, 10.3” is as short as you want to go without greatly sacrificing:

-reliability
-lethality
-penetration

5.56 does what it does through velocity and penetration, and reliability is always a good thing. 10.3” - 7.5” = 2.8”. Not a great difference in length, but it pays off with excellent dividends when you jump up to 10.3”.

Marine Force Recon tested the shorter barrels, and went with 12.5”, which is my preferred length as well. That particular testing and adoption was a few years back, so it’s possible that has changed.

I don’t “carry” ball ammo in my 5.56……I carry Hornady TAP. Regardless of what the most common rounds are, why would you handicap yourself by carrying ball, when there are plenty of soft point, tipped, and hollow point rounds on the market to choose from? They’re not even hard to find. The vast majority of 9mm ammo is FMJ, as well, but that doesn’t mean that you have to rely on it in your carry gun.

NSWC Crane did all this testing long ago. They found that for a 5.56, 10.3” is as short as you want to go without greatly sacrificing:

-reliability
-lethality
-penetration

5.56 does what it does through velocity and penetration, and reliability is always a good thing. 10.3” - 7.5” = 2.8”. Not a great difference in length, but it pays off with excellent dividends when you jump up to 10.3”.

Marine Force Recon tested the shorter barrels, and went with 12.5”, which is my preferred length as well. That particular testing and adoption was a few years back, so it’s possible that has changed.

I don’t “carry” ball ammo in my 5.56……I carry Hornady TAP. Regardless of what the most common rounds are, why would you handicap yourself by carrying ball, when there are plenty of soft point, tipped, and hollow point rounds on the market to choose from? They’re not even hard to find. The vast majority of 9mm ammo is FMJ, as well, but that doesn’t mean that you have to rely on it in your carry gun.
I need to range test my 12.5, I have high hopes for it.

Back
Top Bottom