• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

what's more cost effective? turning a barrel or installing new barrel?

Xcaliber

Default rank <5000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
101   0
Reaction score
this is in regards to AR15. it's got a heavy profile. I've come to the conclusion I hate heavies, too heavy. should I buy a completed pencil profile w/A2 sights installed (I want A2, don't want to try drilling pin holes) or have someone trim the fat from the area under the handguard? what's cheaper?

Not sure what is cheaper but I suspect machining the heavy would impart stress into the metal and have a less than desirable outcome.
I could be wrong, I am not an expert by any stretch.

That's a heat treated piece, safer to swap the barrel out. More than likely it'd cost you more for proper machining than it would to just swap it out. It could be half a$$ machined by some Jethro out there but that could damage the temper.

I would not worry about past pricing, you want what you want, just matters how much you spend now to get what you want.

Same with stock investing, only hold what will make money, not what lost money.

just my 2cents worth

Machining it down will cost as much as a new barrel. This does not include re-finish. Machining wont ruin heat treat unless you set it on fire in lathe lol. Get new barrel in style you want. Will be cheaper and will be new

Back
Top Bottom