• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What y’all cooking for Christmas dinner?

3EB47286-F5C6-427B-9747-0AF17427E16C.jpeg
6EB725AE-ED63-4B72-91E4-0C4BCB7BE25B.jpeg
279C89E3-FDA8-4557-80D0-44EC3EB9899D.jpeg

Damnit! All this talk of prime rib, now my family wants PR instead of turkey. I guess I’ll do prime rib now. I’m thinking a course sea salt rub, then pan searing it on all sides in a cast iron skillet, then slowing cooking it in the oven until it’s a perfect rare,medium rare.
Thoughts? Suggestions?

oh, and my English heritage MIL wants that Yorkshire pudding posted on here.

Apply the salt-seasoning rub on the Prime Rib the night before and refrigerate. The salt helps to tenderize and bring in the flavors of the other seasonings. The list below is for a 3-pound roast. I have a 6 pounder this Christmas so I may have to adjust it a bit. I put it on a flat tiered roasting pan at 500F for 15 minutes, then cook it at 350F for 20 minutes per pound until the meat thermometer reads 130F in the center. Remove it from the oven and cover with tin foil and let it rest for 20 minutes. The internal temperature will continue to rise- I let it go until 140F on the thermometer before removing the foil and it will be rosy pink inside, less temperature if you like it rarer. [My NSF meat thermometer has a 400F limit, I don't insert it into the roast until about 45 minutes have passed at 350F and my oven thermometer confirms- don't need to blow the glass and have that to contend with.] This will be my 5th PR cooking with this recipe.

2 Teaspoons coarse Kosher salt
1 Teaspoon ground black pepper
1 Teaspoon garlic powder
1 Teaspoon dried sage
1 Teaspoon dried thyme

We have been doing a big Christmas breakfast for at least 27 years. This year it will consist of bacon, sausage, ham, fatback, salmon patties, eggs, grits, gravy, and homemade biscuits. Nothing bad here. Also have a spiral ham for supper but by then it will just be me & wife and one boy so it will be simple. I can’t hardly wait for breakfast.

Back
Top Bottom