• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What would you do about a blown engine

Stick a jeep inline 6 in it and drive it another 400k miles then sell it for a couple grand. The inline 6 is bullet proof, will run forever.

Problem #1- 4 liter inline 6 wont fit in a 2011 GC-engine bay too short
Problem #2-4.0 wasnt offered in 2011 so retrofitting the ecm would be cost prohibitive even to DIY

stick a good used motor in it and be done

A friend has a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a badly knocking engine. He's going to sell it. Would you sell it as is or would you put a short block in it first?
What kinda miles are showing? Is it 4 wheel or 2? How does it look inside and out? Lots of things to consider here.
If you wanted to buy it and fix it to keep and drive I would say buy a reman engine from a company like Jasper Engines. If you wanna do it on the cheap then look up your engine on Car Part.com. Click on the search results that say Used Auto Parts Market. It shows you all the salvage yards that have your engine along with price distance from you and supposed mileage. But I can tell you from first hand auto salvage experience if the engine is already out of the vehicle and on a rack then they ARE lying about the mileage.
Aside from that check the value of the running Cherokee on NADA and make your best judgment from there.

You can drop in a rebuilt engine for about 4k. Less if you buy a short block and do the work yourself. Its worth about 12k and that will go down even more once the 2022’s come out.

Chrysler products have cr@ppy electronics. So it really isn’t a forever car. Flippers will offer you 1/2 of your asking price regardless so price accordingly.
My older daughter has an 04 with the 4.0 inline 6 that has more problems than a math book. And just like you mentioned, it's the damn electronics. I don't know about newer models but the 04 still has Mitsubishi electronics and engine computer. And Mitsubishi aint never made anything worth a damn with the possible exception of projection screen TVs in the 80s and 90s.

Cherokees were great. Those were indestructible little cracker boxes.. They sure screwed the pooch when they made the Grand Cherokee though.
Yeah, all the different in the world. I once sold a plain 99 Cherokee in 2 wheel drive to the first person that answered the Craigslist ad. It might have been 3 hours at the most between me posting the ad and those folks leaving my driveway in Fort Valley in the white boxy Cherokke Sport. The lady was a rural route mail carrier so it made sense. But as for the Grand Cherokee... not for me unless its very cheap.

What kinda miles are showing? Is it 4 wheel or 2? How does it look inside and out? Lots of things to consider here.
If you wanted to buy it and fix it to keep and drive I would say buy a reman engine from a company like Jasper Engines. If you wanna do it on the cheap then look up your engine on Car Part.com. Click on the search results that say Used Auto Parts Market. It shows you all the salvage yards that have your engine along with price distance from you and supposed mileage. But I can tell you from first hand auto salvage experience if the engine is already out of the vehicle and on a rack then they ARE lying about the mileage.
Aside from that check the value of the running Cherokee on NADA and make your best judgment from there.

I don't have space for it. 108k on it. Interior has some wear, exterior's ok, good tyres. I posted some pics. I'd go for something less than Jasper, they want around 5k, think you can get an acceptable reman long block ~3k.

My older daughter has an 04 with the 4.0 inline 6 that has more problems than a math book. And just like you mentioned, it's the damn electronics. I don't know about newer models but the 04 still has Mitsubishi electronics and engine computer. And Mitsubishi aint never made anything worth a damn with the possible exception of projection screen TVs in the 80s and 90s.
The same people make the CVT transmission for Nissan. NEVER
Buy a CVT transmission. Under the best of circumstances it will last 200k and require replacement. The basic design of the CVT has a band or chain as the internal power transfer element

Back
Top Bottom