• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What type of lure is this???

One of the best all-around lures out there. I keep several sizes and colors in my box. They will catch anything; bass, bream, crappy, trout, catfish, tree limbs, boat seat, or your hat. Or your buddy.
Its funny that you mentioned that. I had a buddy in the front of a John boat try to sidearm cast under some branches. He reared back and set a hook in my buttock. Luckily, one of the hooks buried in my back pocket and one just barely broke skin. What was really funny was the backlash that he got when he let the spool go during his cast.

Rooster tail, I use these in stream fishing where there are small mouth and trout. Usually used for pan fish size fish. One of the most popular lures ever created. They will work in a lake as well but I always had better success in streams and small rivers with them. Those and Mepps spinners a great stream and small river lures.
I have seen those lures bring in some monster trout. My best friend has a 8 pounder hanging on his wall with a lure similar to that just a different color combo. Big trout will bit on those size lures all day long. I have a waist tackle pack that are loaded with these. Joe's Favorites, this is the trout killer but they have every fly spinner you can think of. That 8 pounder was taken out of Fighting town Creek in North ga. on this spinner.https://www.fishusa.com/product/Joes-Flies-Short-Striker-Spinners

Everything in the water will bite that lure. You will never loose a fish on those. It has a main hook up front and a small treble hook in the back. Great for camping when you can't afford to loose that lunker. I usually attach a couple small weights that you bit down on to. They are real light so they need a little weight so you can get a good cast or keep them from just running in the stream.

Not to highjack this thread, but I wanted to ask if the Joe's Flies really work on trout. I have several but never used them because I thought they looked too much like a gimmick.

Not to highjack this thread, but I wanted to ask if the Joe's Flies really work on trout. I have several but never used them because I thought they looked too much like a gimmick.
Absolutely. I have caught many of trout on Joe's flies. Fighting Town Creek, Coopers lake water Shed and the Toccoa below the damn. I have caught Rainbow and brook trout on those all the time. They can't resist that fly with the spinner. I usually keep 20 or 30 on hand at all times.

You have to try a few of them to see what they are feeding on at that particular time. For the most part they will hit it at least once. If you don't get another bit then change it up and present it again in that same area. They work great on large pan fish as well. If they are biting they will hit it.

Lake Petit in Big Canoe is stock with two to 5lb. trout a few times a year and they hit them like a duck on a june bug. Those fish are delicious. I make a pancetta, sage stuffing and wrap them in bacon and bake. Gum smacking good.

Back
Top Bottom