• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What to get in a $1500 AR?

Miatadude

Wolf Icon Supporter
ODT Junkie!
83   0
Reaction score
I have an awesome buddy who just retired from the GSP. He trained with an AR-15 but was not allowed to buy it when he retired. He has a $1500 budget. I recommended a mid grade AR and to upgrade the trigger, get a decent optic, some mags and ammo. I am by no means an AR expert, so I am reaching out to y'all for your recommendations.

I use rem r15s I put Timmy triggers and put vx2 leopolds and use 50 gr fiocci vmax,set up it will run about 1500 and they shoot lights out.

For $1500 he can get a SOLGW midlength carbine and have $200-$250 left over. You won’t find a better AR for more money.

Alternately, I can help him source the parts for a comparable build, and help him build it.

This is the way...

I'm no AR expert but if you're asking the question, you're probably near my level, lol...

There's so many brands and options it'll make your head spin. Many of them are great but for a first AR I'd go with an FN or Colt. Just get a base model and upgrade to taste on your own. Resale value will always be solid on those brands. They're kind of the baseline for ARs. Honestly though, these are a stretch for this budget when you consider everything.

Stock triggers on a decent are AR are fine for general use, IMO. There'll be other first upgrades to consider like an ambi-safety, grip, buttstock, sling, foregrip or rail covers, light, gun bag. Add in mags, ammo, and optic and $1500 is gone in a flash.

For lower end ARs, Palmetto State gets lots of love but tbh, I'd never buy one. Just too many kits out there to know what you're really getting in resale. I like the Ruger. It gets some hate, but Ruger makes solid stuff. For a lower end AR, I think it's a good choice. Ruger has the solid brand name so resale should be fine if an upgrade is wanted later. It doesn't have the lined barrel that the FN or Colt would have but you're paying less so somethings have to give. Unlined will be good for thousands of rounds still.

I used to like S&W ARs also but they have so many different configurations now it gets complicated.

If you go with something else, make sure the barrel is 1/7 or 1/8 twist. The 1/9 is ok but not as well suited for heavier rounds. Plenty of 1/7s out there.

For upgrades, I suggest Midwest Industries, Magpul, or Strike Industries. Well known brands that make solid stuff at generally uninflated prices. Again, tons of other great options but those cover most of the needs.

A red dot is probably the best budget optic you can get for the money but I have astigmatism so they're blurry for me. Keep that in mind. I feel like "not for people with astigmatism" should be on the box for those, lol. Primary Arms always gets lots of love as a low-mid level optic brand.

I have an awesome buddy who just retired from the GSP. He trained with an AR-15 but was not allowed to buy it when he retired. He has a $1500 budget. I recommended a mid grade AR and to upgrade the trigger, get a decent optic, some mags and ammo. I am by no means an AR expert, so I am reaching out to y'all for your recommendations.
Tell him to go to Amchar McDonough. They have law enforcement only ARs for under $1500. Some nice Colts and such.

Back
Top Bottom