• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What Percentage of ODT Buyers refuse to Buy from a Seller who requires a Bill of Sale, DL or CCW

Do you refuse to buy from anyone who requires a Bill of Sale or to see your License

• Total voters
A lot. I’ve had lots of issues with bills of sale. People saying they don’t need paper trails and all kinds of crazy stuff. The way I look at it is if you don’t have I’ll intentions a signature wouldn’t be an issue. I don’t get address or anything just a print sign date and CCW or DL number. That’s it but some guys absolutely freak out and I have never understood why. I’m not a felon so I’ll sure sign one in a heartbeat but folks are scared I guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This question comes up from time to time and I really like to respond - especially after 40 years of going to gun shows and having heard it all, seen it all, and even having had some of it tried on me.

If you will look really hard, the majority of the weapons here are marked at more than they cost in the store. Why would I pay more for the firearm?

1) Privacy - Yes, confiscation IS possible and one only need to look at California over a period of years to see it. So someone wants to sell me a gun and keep paper on it. And a "Bill of Sale?" If you buy a car and all they give you is a Bill of Sale, WHO keeps the Bill of Sale? The BOS is BS; it's a registration document and one that the seller would provide to the BATFE if / when weapons are confiscated. Unlike stores, individuals cave without a warrant - at least in some circumstances the stores don't sell out privacy info unless required by law

2) If someone sells you a firearm and has your personal info, then wants this "Bill of Sale" registration document, what is to stop them from breaking into your house at a later date and taking everything you own? They now know you own weapons, have the money to buy them, and they have your personal info

3) If you happen to buy from an unlicensed dealer, you may have inadvertently committed a crime and not be aware of it. Some people sell multiple guns, falling into the "dealer" category. These nitwits think they are all legal like, but the multiple BOS documents are only prima facie evidence that they were engaged in illegal arms sales. You're an accessory after the fact.

If you have a good lawyer, you are good to go minus legal fees and court costs. Do you really want to operate like that? If a guy has a driver's license, he's got that going for him. If he has a Georgia Weapons License, he didn't get by being shady all of his life. If you sell a personal weapon, you're not a cop and no point going beyond what is required.

Two separate questions, I can't take the poll...
I won't do a bill of sale, because it's not needed. The gun isn't "registered" to you to begin with in the state of Ga, so no need to start a paper trail now ... You can see my carry permit. It show's I'm legal to purchase. (I'm old enough and not a felon) that's all you need to know.

BOS with my 1st and last name is no problem to me..... until the seller wants photo copies or pictures of my license and permit - "for his records". Then the BOS turns into just BS.

BOS with my 1st and last name is no problem to me..... until the seller wants photo copies or pictures of my license and permit - "for his records". Then the BOS turns into just BS.
If I'd want a DL or WCL, all I'd want is your name and the number. That's enough AFAIC. FWIW, Georgia typically uses a version of your SSN, but you can opt out of that and request a non-SSN derived number. I did that decades ago...

Back
Top Bottom