• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What Percentage of ODT Buyers refuse to Buy from a Seller who requires a Bill of Sale, DL or CCW

Do you refuse to buy from anyone who requires a Bill of Sale or to see your License

• Total voters
I would sign, but it's because it's the same either way. Most people don't understand signing that piece of paper or not doesn't mean ****.

There are 2 scenarios after a transaction:

1. Nothing happens:
This is 99.9% of the case, which means signing or not doesn't matter.

2. Something happens:
All the message/chat/phone records can prove the sale and is admissible in court. Having that piece of paper is only making the tracing process easier, but doesn't change anything.

It's hilarious that people think bill of sale matters. It only matters if there are some kinds of promises on it. For example, you bought a ****ty car that breaks down 10 feet down the road, your bill of sale can't help you going after the owner. The only time it matters is if the bill of sale promise "the car is and will be in working order for the next 3000 miles, if not, the seller agrees to pay for repair at a reputable service location, etc etc." Then you have a case.

It really doesn't bother me to simply sign a piece of paper but if someone starts asking for my address, DL number, CCW license number and everything else under the sun like a few of these people ask for then it becomes a big hell to the nah for me

I would sign, but it's because it's the same either way. Most people don't understand signing that piece of paper or not doesn't mean ****.

There are 2 scenarios after a transaction:

1. Nothing happens:
This is 99.9% of the case, which means signing or not doesn't matter.

2. Something happens:
All the message/chat/phone records can prove the sale and is admissible in court. Having that piece of paper is only making the tracing process easier, but doesn't change anything.

It's hilarious that people think bill of sale matters. It only matters if there are some kinds of promises on it. For example, you bought a ****ty car that breaks down 10 feet down the road, your bill of sale can't help you going after the owner. The only time it matters is if the bill of sale promise "the car is and will be in working order for the next 3000 miles, if not, the seller agrees to pay for repair at a reputable service location, etc etc." Then you have a case.
It's not that I'm trying to keep my purchase/sale from being traced by the authorities. I'm well aware that they can do that already if they really want to. It's that I don't want to give a stranger any of my personal information for them to hold onto when there is absolutely no reason to do so.

ODT is a papertrail. Don't think the info and all messages swapped on here are private and secure.
I would agree that an ODT trail might provide protection. But I can think of at least two potential pitfalls: (1) your ODT trail is used against you to prove you sold to someone you shouldn’t have (which a bill of sale and DL might meet the good faith no intent); (2) unless you take screen shots or .pdf the buy/sell thread, don’t count on it being there or easily accessible years after the sale. Companies like ODT change systems, delete old info, or just plain computer glitches can cause the thread you are relying upon to be unavailable. There may be additional reasons to not rely on ODT to maintain your threads, and I welcome you or others to brainstorm what they might be.

Like I said, you can take screenshots or print .PDFs of ODT thread screens to preserve, and then it’s on you to maintain that record on your computers or on the cloud.

In the past, people would put “Bill of sale required” in the post just to drive of the rift raft, but wouldn’t have it at the deal. Like many others, I’ll show my CCW with no problem. I had one deal where the guy wanted to take a pic of it, I got back in my car and left. Guy threatened to neg me and I said have at it. I showed up to the meet, I can walk away at any point

tenor.gif

I would agree that an ODT trail might provide protection. But I can think of at least two potential pitfalls: (1) your ODT trail is used against you to prove you sold to someone you shouldn’t have (which a bill of sale and DL might meet the good faith no intent); (2) unless you take screen shots or .pdf the buy/sell thread, don’t count on it being there or easily accessible years after the sale. Companies like ODT change systems, delete old info, or just plain computer glitches can cause the thread you are relying upon to be unavailable. There may be additional reasons to not rely on ODT to maintain your threads, and I welcome you or others to brainstorm what they might be.

Like I said, you can take screenshots or print .PDFs of ODT thread screens to preserve, and then it’s on you to maintain that record on your computers or on the cloud.

It's called cache memory and it never goes away.

Back
Top Bottom