• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What Kind Snake is This?

Ottoman- This is .410 target practice.
Man, that's one little gun I am missing for sure... I want to buy my Brother's @John5757 one... (just kidding John...)

Now, seriously, who has one for sail or trade? let's make a deal. My yard is being invaded like that movie "Snakes In The AirPlane!!" lol

Coral Snakes are kind of like Hen's Teeth but they are present in Georgia as well.
I almost stepped on a 2 ft long pygmy coral snake in my front yard about 6 months ago just before dark. Looked it up to be sure. It was an exact match in all aspects. A Cherokee County herpetologist told my daughter I was mistaken since they live in South America near the Amazon River. This one must have hitched a ride on a cargo ship. I know what I saw. Thanks.

I almost stepped on a 2 ft long pygmy coral snake in my front yard about 6 months ago just before dark. Looked it up to be sure. It was an exact match in all aspects. A Cherokee County herpetologist told my daughter I was mistaken since they live in South America near the Amazon River. This one must have hitched a ride on a cargo ship. I know what I saw. Thanks.
I think it’s highly possible, we used to not have fireant or armadillo here so who knows

Plenty of coral snakes in Florida. They are pretty small snakes. I have never heard of a pygmy coral snake. My understanding was that if it was two feet long it was about as big as you would see.

Plenty of coral snakes in Florida. They are pretty small snakes. I have never heard of a pygmy coral snake. My understanding was that if it was two feet long it was about as big as you would see.
th

Later on yesterday, another popped up, and I think he was a bad guy, maybe a copperhead.... But I let him go... after messing with him for a while. My Yard is pretty big on the back, having the "Chicopee" Wood-preserve and trails right behind, so he can have fun in there!!

Check this one out GeauxLSU GeauxLSU , what ya say??
View attachment 3310245 View attachment 3310246 View attachment 3310249 View attachment 3310251
That’s definitely copperhead. The Hershey kiss pattern gives it away.

Later on yesterday, another popped up, and I think he was a bad guy, maybe a copperhead.... But I let him go... after messing with him for a while. My Yard is pretty big on the back, having the "Chicopee" Wood-preserve and trails right behind, so he can have fun in there!!

Check this one out GeauxLSU GeauxLSU , what ya say??
View attachment 3310245 View attachment 3310246 View attachment 3310249 View attachment 3310251
Yep, that's a copperhead. That one should have been given a dirt nap.

Just a clarification, but most of GA from Atlanta and north is out of range for cottonmouths. One little area to the west near Floyd is in range, though.

Like the article stated, many people misidentify water snakes as water moccasins.

For sure, but don’t get too comfy. Little bastard cottonmouths definitely get into Roswell and even in the city.

I’ve seen them being removed from a pond at Emory and a few here on the trails in Roswell.

It's a Grass snake- they are a greenish gray here in SW Georgia. They eat up frogs, lizards, and the giant German cockroaches.

Back
Top Bottom