• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What Is Your Best Childhood Memory? - Mine is...

OttoMan

Wolf Icon Lifetime Supporter
Do unto others what you want them to do to you!
419   0
Reaction score
:becky::becky::becky::becky::becky::becky:
1627780917706.png

My best childhood memory is of the first time I took my six month old Labrador out for dove. I was 16, and had been working him with retrieving dummies and just target shooting so he wasn’t gun shy. We got out in the field in front of our house, and he went to point on a couple buckeye bushes! “You’re not a pointer! Bust them birds!!”, I yelled, and he did. Two mourning dove flushed, and I nailed them both with my Sweet 16. He stayed rooted to the spot, marking where they fell. I told him to get’em, and he did. He brought them one at a time, and dropped them at my feet. I’d never trained him once for marking, flushing or pointing! It all came natural to him. That dog, Bonny Prince Charlie II on his pedigree but just Charlie to me, was the smartest and best damn dog I’ve ever seen, let alone owned. He was 16 when I had to put him down, and that day remains the hardest day of my life. I still tear up thinking about it, and that was almost twenty years ago. I wish every dog lover could have a dog like that in their lives.

Eric

One of my great memories is hitting a home run in highschool baseball. It bounced off the light pole in left center and momentarily I thought I was just screwed by the pole and headed for a double. Then it dawned on me that I had hit a homer. We had a great tradition of lining up down the 3rd base line and congratulating the home run hitter, still feels good all the years later rounding second and looking up and seeing my teammates lined up for me. Most were in complete shock though...

Lots of great ones, hard to say "best."

Up at top of the list would be standing in front of one of these watching the steam come off your pants after a full afternoon of squirrel hunting, waiting on granny to fry them up covered in gravy with rice & fried cornbread & fatback.

Attachments

• 155341729_antique-humphrey-radiantfire-gas-heater-ceramic-fire-.jpg
    155341729_antique-humphrey-radiantfire-gas-heater-ceramic-fire-.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 24
I have many great memories from concerts to camping, water skiing to snow skiing, all types of salt and freshwater fishing....etc. Ah the memories! I would have to say I loved going to a year round camper (yes, cold in NW Massachusetts) with all the outdoor activities. Great times

Back
Top Bottom