• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What is your “go too” powder for pistol caliber rounds…and why?

I'm using Titegroup now but I really like Win 231 for .38 and 9mm. Clean and meters incredibly consistent.

Accurate #2 is super powder. I'm saving that (have about 10 lbs).

For magnum cartridges (I rarely load them anymore) I use 2400 and/or Accurate #9.

Titegroup is giving me a little more "ooomph" in 9mm though for my CZ with comp.

When I reloaded, 30 years ago, it was Winchester 231 and Bullseye.
I used more of the 231, and when I got out of the reloading hobby I burned / blew up the half-full Bullseye canister that I had.

Whatever I can find in an 8# jug, becomes my goto. I like having a powder for each burn rate commonly used, and I do not like powders that cannot typically make standard factory power duplications (Clays, Solo1000, ect.)

Red Dot, W231, Bullseye, TiteGroup are good for standard target or self defense loads in the 9, 38, 40, and 45. Fast powders are all you need for the 45ACP, and 38 Special.

Unique, Universal Clays, AA#5 are good for stout loads.

AA7, AutoComp, HS6, BlueDot, Power Pistol, Are good for max power 9 and 40.

LongShot and 800X work well in the 10mm.

2400, w296, AA#9, MP300 are magnum go to powders….I prefer 2400.

You can look at any Burn Rate Chart and find the powders in the same area as the ones mentioned to begin the process of picking a powder.

If someone were to offer to supply me, for free, with any one powder for the rest of my reloading years, I would choose Universal Clays. I have used it in every thing from 9mm to 38-55rifle with good results.

Depends on application, but most of the time Winchester 231 for standard cartridges. Usually saves powder and types of powders needed. It's a fast burning powder that works the action well with semi autos. I like Winchester components because I shoot well with them. That's worth a lot to me. Your mileage may vary. You'll have to find what works for you. Large magnums I use a slow burning powder like 2400. In rifles, Winchester 748 for standard rounds and 760 for magnums with few exceptions

Universal Clays is great up to 9mm + P rounds, 45 ACP and 12 Gauge.

Consistent, consistent, consistent.

That said, Titegroup will not have me turn my nose up.

Thanks for the input thus far…I haven’t gotten into all of the science of various burn rates yet. In my infancy stages I’m focused on proper loading technique and safety on the press and making sure I keep my load size in the mid-range level.

I’ve shot about 35 reloaded rounds so far…all went off without a hitch, and dare I say, they seemed to shoot more accurate than the factory blazer plinking ammo I was shooting most of the day.

I told my wife it’s funny, I’ve never been a “math/science guy”, but I’m really enjoying the math/science behind reloading and shooting. I can’t wait to get my chronograph later this week and test some of my loads against the factory data.

Back
Top Bottom