• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What is this tool called?

A few good licks with a 2 lb hammer to the knuckle will break the taper loose without the tool. Or if you have the tool, a couple licks with the hammer will make it pop much easier.
Yeah, most times. Ive had good luck using a pickle fork attachment on an air hammer as well. This tool makes sense though, rather than trying to beat the snot out of the knuckle to get it to let go. Last time i did my mustang with a picklefork it was a bear to get it in the right position and i think this tool looks like it would have gotten it. Next front end tasks for me will by my 1993 f150 that spent some time up north, so it will be good to have some options open.

A few good licks with a 2 lb hammer to the knuckle will break the taper loose without the tool. Or if you have the tool, a couple licks with the hammer will make it pop much easier.

Which is the usual. But that tool inspires more confidence then beating those smaller parts with a hammer! My neighbors probably thought I was trying to break my car apart last time I was working on the ball joints.

Yeah, most times. Ive had good luck using a pickle fork attachment on an air hammer as well. This tool makes sense though, rather than trying to beat the snot out of the knuckle to get it to let go. Last time i did my mustang with a picklefork it was a bear to get it in the right position and i think this tool looks like it would have gotten it. Next front end tasks for me will by my 1993 f150 that spent some time up north, so it will be good to have some options open.
Only time I use a pickle fork is if the joints are getting replaced or as a last resort. It destroys the boots plus I almost lost my front teeth a long time ago using one. Vehicle was on a lift, I swung a good lick and the hammer glanced off the fork and it came back at my face. Luckily it missed.

I bought one at advance that is basically a c clamp with a bolt through the middle of the C.

I put it on the TRE and tighten it to put some tension on the taper and give the side of the TRE a nice tap with a hammer and it pops loose. Has worked everytime. The same tool works to change u joints pretty good too.

Back
Top Bottom