• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What is the best carry cartridge?

To answer the OP question. The ONLY caliber anyone should carry is..:drum:

500 S&W Magnum!! 9mm-45 won't do anything if someone deploys juggernauts at your location!! :loco:

All jokes aside, whatever your carry gun likes and shoots accurately and reliably.

What ammo, shown below, why light, terminal performance, light=less to tote around
Varies from this 380 around the house KTP3AT
1640613283028.png

1640612757189.png

this 9mm around town and HD G43X

1640613234872.png

to this 45 , if and when I have to go to/through Atl DW Mdl 29

1640613422810.png

If I have to stay overnight, this 223/556 LMT Defender

1640613489795.png

Good day ODT Community! In all of y'alls opinion, what's the best pistol cartridge for self defense? Whether it be a break-in or what you carry in your pocket/holster, what suits you the best and why?
break in my house and you get 45 or 12 guage. Personal carry is 9 MM because of weight.

Whatever you are most proficient with under any circumstance. For me it is Winchester Ranger 9mm 127+p+. Because it was what I was issued and trained with for many years, and have personal experience with its outcome.

Personally, I function test 50 rounds of self defense ammo in any carry gun, and cycle the ammo through every 3-4 months and replace it.

This (periodic ammo replacement and inspection) can't be emphasized enough for an edc...

And this is why I tend to shy away from any exotic extremely expensive and hard to find ammo in any semi automatic pistol caliber. Sometimes I'll carry a Glaser Safety Slug or a MagSafe round as the first round to fire in a revolver, and I'm OK with burning up one of those "four dollar cartridges" every couple years and replacing it with a fresh one.

But with semi autos I would want to shoot a whole box of 50 when I first decide to go with that load, and after that I want to shoot whatever is in the carry gun at least once a year and replace it with fresh.
That is extremely expensive and it can be a hassle to replace said exotic / premium rounds.

Back
Top Bottom