• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What is the best carry cartridge?

There is no such thing as the perfect “carry” round, or handgun.

I depended my life on 9mm Berettas at work........because I was issued them and had to use them.

I depended my life on 9mm and .40S&W Glocks at work.........because I was issued them and had to use them.

I depend my life on SIG’s in .357SIG at work.......because I am issued them and have to use them.

I trusted all them, just as I would trust a bunch of other brands I could be issued, and several calibers. I learn the gun I’m using at the time, knowing that eventually it will be something else.

You need to be able to run whatever you come across when you need it. You never know what it might be.

There ain’t a magic caliber or gun out there that will protect your life. Use any one of a hundred handguns, use decent ammo, train with it, and learn its good and bad points. The bad points are more important, and every handgun has them. If folks spent more time on training and less on what equipment they use, they’d be much better off.

10,000 round torture tests aren’t applicable to daily carry. How many rounds does my Glock 19 have to be able to get through? 46. Why 46? Because that’s how many rounds I carry on duty. I don’t care how it runs after that because I’m out of ammo and it’s now a crappy club.

DA/SA, striker, SAO, whatever. Single stack, double stack, revolver. .38 Spl, .357 Magnum, 9mm, .40S&W, .357SIG, .45ACP. Polymer, aluminum, steel. 107 year old design or cutting edge technology. Those are the least important parts of the equation, but they’re the ones folks like to argue about.

"The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain.

It’s the man that makes the craftsman, not his tools.

I like to pocket carry 12ga 3" buckshot personally. but to each their own.
Dude, the shotshell isn't going to help you much by itself you need to have it inside a shotgun to use it.

64D4BE6D-DEC4-46EB-932D-45FA1443625C.jpeg

The real question should be who actually shoots their defensive ammo and understands the shot placement with that ammo consistently?
Personally, I function test 50 rounds of self defense ammo in any carry gun, and cycle the ammo through every 3-4 months and replace it. I've seen some rough looking primer corrosion after carrying but thankfully I've not had one fail to go off.

Personally, I function test 50 rounds of self defense ammo in any carry gun, and cycle the ammo through every 3-4 months and replace it. I've seen some rough looking primer corrosion after carrying but thankfully I've not had one fail to go off.
This (periodic ammo replacement and inspection) can't be emphasized enough for an edc!

Back
Top Bottom