• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What is the actual definition of a Vertical Foregrip

Gingerbeard Man

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
Fornicate around and findeth out.
439   1
Reaction score
Maybe this has been discussed before but I'm too lazy to poke around right now. It seems that a vertical foregrip in literal terms means that it is forward of the trigger and vertical to the bore. Ok, check. Well that would mean that vertical would be 90°, no? So by definition something like this (below) is not literally a vertical foregrip as it has a slight angle past 90°? Or is this another interpretive dances where you're supposed to guess at what angle it is no longer vertical?
grip-453-010.jpg

Thanks. Just watched it. So the above example is not 90° to the bore axis, therefore it would not be a VFG.

The examples he provided unfortunately weren't full length grips. I guess we just have to hope any snooping ATF agent had enough smarts to make it through high school geometry.

Thanks. Just watched it. So the above example is not 90° to the bore axis, therefore it would not be a VFG.

The examples he provided unfortunately weren't full length grips. I guess we just have to hope any snooping ATF agent had enough smarts to make it through high school geometry.
Ha I wouldn't bet on their smarts, if I were a betting man.

What's so F***ing absurd is that the SIGNIFICANCE of a "vertical" fore-grip on a pistol is,
in ATF's view,
such a foregrip shows your intent to fire the gun two-handed. (Well DUH. No S*** Sherlock !)

However, any moron can see the same thing is true for an angled fore-grip, or even a hand STOP to keep
your fingers off the muzzle. ALL of those things show you want to use 2 hands on the gun; all are absolutely worthless if you're firing one-handed as per the stupid 1930's era definition of a "handgun"
(because back in the day everybody "knew" that pistols and revolvers were supposed to be shot one-handed, even in combat. Cops and soldiers both trained that way, almost exclusively.)

What's so F***ing absurd is that the SIGNIFICANCE of a "vertical" fore-grip on a pistol is,
in ATF's view,
such a foregrip shows your intent to fire the gun two-handed. (Well DUH. No S*** Sherlock !)

However, any moron can see the same thing is true for an angled fore-grip, or even a hand STOP to keep
your fingers off the muzzle. ALL of those things show you want to use 2 hands on the gun; all are absolutely worthless if you're firing one-handed as per the stupid 1930's era definition of a "handgun"
(because back in the day everybody "knew" that pistols and revolvers were supposed to be shot one-handed, even in combat. Cops and soldiers both trained that way, almost exclusively.)
Well I fire my pistols and revolvers two handed like a proper gentleman because I wasn't raised in the hood. Common sense doesn't seem to be a thing in the ATF world. Nor does literal definitions.

Unfortunately, I know. I know what the answer is because the infringements are written and interpreted vaguely so they can be enforced at their discretion. But vertical is vertical... This is clearly not vertical.
Splitting hairs. It does not say perfectly vertical . It may mean more verticle than horizontal.

You do not have enough money to fight this, and would probably lose .

Splitting hairs. It does not say perfectly vertical . It may mean more verticle than horizontal.

You do not have enough money to fight this, and would probably lose .
They could give a **** less as long as they are collecting that $200 or sending you to jail for 10 years. Crazy thing is they are Americans doing this to other Americans. Wild.

The ATF in other words.
D6BOp.jpg

Back
Top Bottom