• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What if HR.8 Passes

Yes, you are correct there. That was a change from the 2013 bill. They added that as long as you are in the presence of the actual owner it's excepted in this one. Just don't run to the store or go to the bathroom.

As for the house-sitter scenario, it was specified in the 2013 bill that a transfer would have taken place if a person was left with firearm for more than a week. Thus if you left a house-sitter in your place for a week and a day it was considered a 'transfer' even if they had no access to it.

In this bill no time limit is specified, meaning it'll be up to the Atty. General on how long you can leave a firearm with someone before it's considered a 'transfer'.

There is no exception though for the situation above, so unless that is built into the regulations as well that situation could be just as valid for this bill as it was back in 2013.

In fact that's one very scary thing about this bill. The reason it's so short and simple compared to the 2013 bill is because they are purposely keeping it as vague as possible.

This means that the US Atty. General will have enormous latitude in creating regulations, and can delegate that power, as is typically done, to the ATF.

You will notice there aren't even penalties specified, or even whether it's a misdemeanor charge or a felony to violate it. The Atty. General can make them up and change them at will.

In reality it's a blank check to the executive branch to do almost anything they want, and keep changing the rules at-will.
They love that grey area that they can intepret as they so choose. That is why they don't like the Constitution because it says ' SHALL Not Infringe " Leaves no grey area, but they keep searching. There have been enough bills introduced that they all should be null and void on arrival by now as Precedent has been set.

The grey area also makes it easier to slide through. That's what hung them up in 2013, they actually detailed how the law would be implemented, and it was easy to come up with ridiculous examples of what they would consider an 'illegal transfer'.

From what I see here, the law is simply a shell, with all the 'real' legalities to be handled as regulations by the AG.

The original question was "I created this thread mainly because I am curious of yall’s thoughts as to how this will affect member of ODT specifically."

In other words, would this site still be relevant if private sales are outlawed?

Thanks guys, I really enjoyed the thoughtful responses (mostly in the beginning before getting derailed). I do want to clarify for those who do support the UCB the unnecessary burden it places on gun owners. For me personally I like to private trade milsurp because typically the prices are fair and owners actually know what they have compared to some shops. It also restricts the ease of trade because now you have to do it at a gun shop during business hours or send in your information and meet there later and then pay an additional fee. Additionally, if the background check isn't instant then its a little awkward for the private sellers especially if have driven a long way. This last point is even more important if the waiting period is expanded to 21 days. Also, I say unnecessary because how easy would it be to allow any citizen to submit a NICS check and just better staff/automate the NICS system in order to reduce unintentionally sales to criminals. Because that is really the only “gun safety” benefit I see from the UCBs.

The thing we should ask anyone to consider who may think this bill is a good idea: "How can it be enforced?"

There is no way to enforce a bill such as this unless there is universal registration, as there's no way to know when a firearm was sold in a private party sale, without registration.

Too many firearms owners think this is a good idea, and some may consider it at its very least, reasonable. Make sure these people know that registration is the natural next step.

Back
Top Bottom