• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What if HR.8 Passes

I created this thread mainly because I am curious of yall’s thoughts as to how this will affect member of ODT specifically. I’m sure ODT could remain a discussion forum, but I am sure we would see a drop in active members if the site were to have to drop the trade portion of the forum. It would be really sad to see this community fade away. I have lived in a few other states and have never found something as active in discussions or trades nor as nice of a site from a technical perspective. To get us starts I have a few points and my thoughts on the matter.

1) My first thought is: Just because person to person transaction would technically be illegal, this doesn’t necessarily mean we could not have a trade forum, it would just require the two parties meet at a retail location. However, I am nervous that despite discussion of trades not being illegal, feds might crack down on sites where that occurs.

2) Secondly, it seems like transactions where atleast one party has a C&R license would be legal despite there not being a background check required at the time of the transaction. Do you think this will be the case? If so maybe the trade forums will be limited to C&R holders and retail FFL holders?

3) Lastly, would it be legal and could be pay collectively to have a dedicated retail FFL to run all of the trade forum transactions and after the background check is conducted, the two parties could meet and trade?

I'm working off of memory which isn't so good these days so keep that in mind when I say...

England makes owning firearms virtually impossible. Gun violence is virtually nonexistent, YAY!

So the violent criminals started using knives.

Violent crimes actually went UP as a result. Folks no longer had a viable way to defend themselves.

So basically the young bucks who are healthy and strong can dominate the old and weak.

When you're older and maybe not in the best of health you are now at the mercy of the young quick thugs carrying knives. You can't carry a pistol to "level the playing field".

How does that make sense?

"Shall not be infringed"

1 ) I don't see how they will ever be able to track all the guns now that have already been sold. There are too many grey areas left open as many firearms that were registered with their original owners have since been sold, traded, lost, stolen. The only one showing on the registration is the person that purchased the firearm originally. There are MILLIONS of these weapons already on the market.
2) The original paperwork that originated with the purchase of any weapon is still in the hands of the FFL dealer. This paperwork never leaves his business unless the firearms are investigated by an agency and they come and obtain the original paperwork. Example: A firearm you purchased in 1992 and sold in 2020 , and maybe resold three or four other times. Say this firearm is now used in an armed robbery and it is recovered at the scene. They can trace this gun back to the dealer, but they have to contact the dealer to see who he sold the weapon to initially. The only current tracking is back to the dealer who sold the gun who retains the original paperwork . The paperwork you fill out is used strictly for a background check and is never actually sent to anyone. It remains with the dealer who must retain these records for 20 years.

Interesting forum. They definitely want to know where our weapons are and who has them. This to me is like an illegal tax being you now have to pay a federal firearms dealer to oversee the transaction. When it gets down to it who is going to enforce this crap. Law enforcement whom the liberal left wants to disband is already overwhelmed with our steady supply of stupid laws without adding more to the pile. Retired LE and i don't agree with their stupid bill one iota. Thanks for starting this discussion. Many people don't know the laws anyway, and it will be an eye opener to them. The people we put in Washington also know nothing about a firearm they just want to interrupt the lives of law abiding citizens. I can't believe they would legislate law abiding citizens into becoming possible felons. Ridiculous and shows the utter stupidity of our congressional representatives.

Back
Top Bottom