• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What hearing protection do you use when hunting?

Is there a disadvantage to wearing ear pro like these when hunting?

I never wore anything when I did hunt but now I'm deaf as a post. When I wear these in competition or everyday shooting, I can hear grass crunch under my feet and birds singing, which I could never hear without the amplification of the electronics.
1639308982661.png

I don't wear anything when hunting. I mainly shoot 25-06 out of a 26 inch barrel and 308 out of a 22 inch barrel. I don't use muzzle brakes, AR's or AK's to spray bullets. The only magnum round I shoot is 357. It is pretty quiet coming out of an 18 inch barrel.

Highest gunshot decibels by caliber (rifles): Varies by barrel length​

• 7 mm Magnum – 166.5 dB
  • .30-06 caliber – 163.6 dB
  • .270 caliber – 161.9 dB
  • .243 caliber – 160.6 dB
  • .45-70 caliber – 160.1 dB
  • .50 caliber (black powder) – 159.7 dB

Check out goaxil.com . Look at earbuds . They enhance your hearing as well as block loud noise and are Bluetooth . Actually help with my tinnitus too . Sign up for their email , they have sales all the time .
I’m just wrapped up a few days in South Dakota pheasant hunting. Axil was not the way to go. When you have bulky clothing, neck gator, sunglasses straps and a hat, i did not like it. Shooting skeet was fine.

When I hunted with my 460 S&W I just used the same electronic muffs I use at the range. Never used any hearing protection with rifle or shotgun, but I probably should since my 22in 308 has 3 huge ports cut into it.

Just my normal ears.
I’d just end up losing another gadget in the woods.
Here’s a weird question.
For you archery guys that spend more time on stand when the mosquitos are biting.
Has anyone else noticed that the mosquitos seem to fly into your darn ear hole more when you’re actually straining to listen to a noise in the distance?
It’s just something I noticed from spending time on stand during archery.
Never seems to fail…when I hear a noise and try to tune my ears to it more often than not them darn skeeters buzz the heck out of my ear hole and I have to smack myself in the side of the head to try to kill the bastiges.
I wonder if there’s a certain hormone that expels during this.
Yeah I know it’s a Rod Serling question.

Back
Top Bottom