• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What have you reloaded today?

Shot some of those 358-158-RFs. They didn’t come out great to me honest. Pretty oversized (I’d have to dig out my calipers and measure but I had to run them through a 358 sizer. Didn’t relube afterwards (probably a terrible idea on my part) and managed to lead up my barrel a fair bit trying 2 different loadings of Bullseye and a range of some old Unique I still have on hand from my dad that just never worked out that great. Velocity just never walked up with a couple .2 gr bumps despite a firm crimp. Powder is probably 40 years old and might be a little tired. I do have a brand spanking new pound of Universal I’ll try instead next time.

But... I did burn a good 3 hours, shot the heck out of my P22, MkIII and CZ 457 when then .38 stuff wasn’t going too hot and remade my “bullet catcher” box. Reclaimed some lead and make a little stack of ingots tonight since it was a nice, cool evening. I’ll have to check the mold and try those 158 RFs again later. It’ll probably take a back seat to the new TL 158 gr SWC mold I got... and I still need to do a first run of the 9 and 45 bullets for those new molds I got in last week. Just never enough time...
F374179E-91AF-4AD0-B427-DBF4FFB7C78B.jpeg
D96519A9-EA75-4AA3-A05B-85684EA145E5.jpeg

54548FCC-92B8-4F77-B1C1-DD55B3676ED9.jpeg

Finally found a use for those gormet coffee cans a guy from church gives me. Each one holds 150 rounds 45 acp.

Attachments

• 98BF0DFA-4731-4C44-B455-F0571F11744A.jpeg
    98BF0DFA-4731-4C44-B455-F0571F11744A.jpeg
    65.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 6321F234-27E5-4DE6-B19C-39F8C3B27B8E.jpeg
    6321F234-27E5-4DE6-B19C-39F8C3B27B8E.jpeg
    55.9 KB · Views: 19
I also had a primer detonation on my 650 last night. Large primers won’t go onto a small primer 45 hole. Sounded like a cap going off. Glad I was wearing my glasses not my contacts. Didn’t feel any shrapnel or anything really. First time in 37 years of loading. Cleaned everything up and kept going. Need to listen to my press more.

I also had a primer detonation on my 650 last night. Large primers won’t go onto a small primer 45 hole. Sounded like a cap going off. Glad I was wearing my glasses not my contacts. Didn’t feel any shrapnel or anything really. First time in 37 years of loading. Cleaned everything up and kept going. Need to listen to my press more.
:shocked: damn!!

You know I recently took a pile of .45acp cases and stuck my small primer pocket reamer tool inside each one and found like 70 small pistol primer pockets out of 250 cases... set them aside thinking if I accidentally tried to progressive load them, I’d have a pop!

Glad you are okay!

Where to begin.. My posts are a little ridiculous I know, they are all over the place.

So I got a smokin` good deal on a IWI Masad from @ptelite
I've wanted one since I seen my first review on one about 2 years ago.
I proceeded to purchase some goodies for it.. Extra mags, +5 Extensions, Talon Grips, and a Holosun 507C X-2 Vulcan ACSS.. As this is my first ever Red Dot pistol.
08.jpg

I also ordered an IWB Holster 20 days ago and it came in Saturday. Purchased on Ebay after looking over the manufactures website and having a few messages back & forth.. The thing is even with my messages and notes to seller. I didn't get my Left Hand draw, Red Dot cut, or even the color I wanted.. $64 and a waste of time. It's going back on my dime as well! I wouldn't typically throw a small company under the bus, but that's an epic fail in my book.. We'll see if they can offer anything for the trouble.
02.jpg

I had a buddy over Thursday night to get him working on learning some reloading.. I started him with priming up some processed 9mm brass using an RCBS bench mount primer. He was going for 1k for his Berry's he got. He only made it to 850.. I finished them Friday night, as well as 1k+ for myself.
01jpg.jpg

After loading up some of the same initial test loads for the new pistol 2 weeks ago of the LEE TL356-95RF 6-Cavity 9MM/.380ACP 734307906726 (that I cast several months ago for a dude on Armslist who backed out) I had like 2,400+ of them.. 98.5gr Powder coated. I figured I'd load up a boatload to have fun with the new red dot.. I finally got fed up using my leaky (rebuilt twice) and now UN-trustworthy (under throwing randomly by up to .3gr) Lee Auto-Drum, I finally decided to get something I never thought I would.. A Hornady Case Activated Powder Drop! It took some time to piece it all together via Graf's, Midway, and a small mom and pop shop (about to order another case activated kit from them for my RCBS Uni-flow I've never used). $280 all said and done with the pistol drum/stem, Pistol Micrometer stem. and 5 different Powder through expanders.
03.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I Love Hornady bullets.. but their dies (I have a lot, but most times choose another brand) and bad customer service experiences have left a lot to be desired for me.

After opening and assembling most of it I had to stop and re-read the instructions to understand what the hell I was missing, and then I frantically went back through every wrapper, box, and bag.. The SOB's only sent ONE "Spring Nut" that is totally required for the damned thing to work! So I had to make a trip to Home depot to get a longer 10/32 hex head bolt and a little knurled nut ($5) just to use the thing.

But after initial setup and tuning, the damn thing works perfect! Using the .357 powder through expander for my cast .358 boolets worked awesome. Checking 1 in 10, and eventually, 1 in 30, I only caught it off .1gr light ONE time! I was worried as I've been in contact with a fella who said the PTX sucks and don't use it, he says to flare separately. He also told me use this setup for pistol and the RCBS Uniflow with standard drum for small rifle loads. IF you have any experience with the RCBS Uni-Flow case activated for small rifle loads I would like to know??

So I loaded 1,050 smokin` hot rabbit turds. x.xgr of Longshot pushed to +P velocities.
04.jpg

Crazy thing is my bullet feeder doesn't like these flat base .358's but I didn't miss it one bit! I was able to hand drop them (taking out a stroke) and literally averaged 6/7 seconds a round with primed brass. 550 RPH ain't too shabby for the ole` Lyman Turret.

And as everyone knows there's simply not enough time for any of this stuff :) But I finally finished some stands for my first steel I got, as everyone in the neighborhood was off to Easter Church. $160 for targets, hangers, and hardware.. (Lumber's FREE to me, as I'm a framer)
05.jpg

I put them on 3/8" wing nut bolts and they slip apart for easy transportation, but remain very stout when assembled.
06.jpg

If anyone would like any info on the targets, hangers, or spec's on stands I'd be more than happy to provide info. In my opinion they're damn near as cheap as you can go for some steel, stands, with easy transport, and multiple uses..
09.jpg

Needless to say I had an absolute blast this Easter! Newish gun, new red dot experience, new targets, almost empty club, and lots of cheap shooting! Sadly my processed 9mm bucket is now empty, and all of the free primers are gone, time to start working on my pre-pandemic stockpile.

P.s. Never leave the range empty handed.. Almost a full 5 gal bucket.. people are definitely shooting it up :)
10 (2).jpg

Back
Top Bottom