• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What have you been reading?

Read this a couple of weeks ago: Hiroshima Diary: The Journal of a Japanese Physician, August 6-September 30, 1945

https://www.amazon.com/Hiroshima-Diary-Japanese-Physician-6-September/dp/0807845477

A fascinating, first person account by a hospital administrator/physician, about what life was like from moments just before Little Boy exploded over Hiroshima, to a couple of months of aftermath.

Book is not only an insight into Japanese culture/state of mind on August 6, 1945, but also has a lot of prepper value: Social breakdown in an otherwise very law abiding society, basic survival issues in a destroyed urban environment (they had one of the worst typhoons on record only six weeks after the bomb), and a lot of medical discussion of the effects of radiation, by doctors who couldn't make sense of what was killing their patients (and many of the staff). All of this in the shell of a burnt out hospital, with no electricity, no windows, no roof, rudimentary equipment, no working sanitation system, and almost non-existent supplies.

I just finished "Conquistador" by S.M.Sterling. Great read about a WW II vet accidentally opening a gate in 1946 to an alternate Earth where Europeans never made it to the Americas. I'm now starting "Way Station" by Clifford D. Simak. Looks, so far, to be another good read.

https://books.google.com/books/abou...BAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=kp_read_button

6D9964C8-D07D-4369-A2A7-AE513827F5A5.jpeg

Actually, I am re-reading "Charles Krauthammer's "Things That Matter". I had read this several years ago. Excellent read from a gifted person. Sad to have lost him.

I was cleaning out the attic and i found a box of books i've been lugging around since high school, i graduated in 95. Anyway, there is a series by Robert Jordan called the Eye of the world that i never got to finish when i was younger because he died while writting book 12. Apparently someone else took over and completed the series so i've been re-reading these books and am now on book 11. I guess it falls under fantasy and it's not my usual fare now that i'm in my 40's but it is written pretty well and i have always wanted to know how it ends.

wetcow, don't worry about being forty and reading books from your high school days. My reading runs from one extreme to the other. I will get hooked on non-fiction, then go political, then fiction, then funny stuff, then back to .....well...whatever. Heck, I have read Stephenie Meyer's books and books by Charles Krauthammer..go figure. Just enjoy the read.

Back
Top Bottom