• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What happened to all the coronavirus denier threads?

with 22,000 dead from regular flu this year, I wonder if they'd have rather died from Corona ? Or the 500 that have died from Corona would have rather died from regular flu? I know I'm not rooting for either one . Just watching the numbers and hoping our Country can make it through this. People are surviving (whether the media hides it or not) so I think we'll make it physically but financially is whole other beast .
Come on man, you're way smarter than that, you do realize that the first Coronavirus death in the US was literally just a few weeks ago? It's apples to oranges at this point. The numbers are going up exponentially daily. You can't compare flu season which started several months ago in the US, to coronavirus that just started here. At the current rate world wide, the mortality rate of coronavirus is 4.37%. The flu is typically .1% on any given year. In the US, with current numbers we're at about 1.3%. That means that so far in the US, it's been more than 10x deadlier than the flu so far. Do the math, you can't look at total flu numbers vs. just beginning coronavirus numbers. Calculating the percentages is a lot more accurate.

Lmao. I love when people start to talk percentages...

The historical sample set for the flu cases world wide is BILLIONS.

Currently there are less than 400,000 confirmed cases of Covid-19.

Comparing those in terms of mortality percentages does nothing other than showcase your ability to do math... or use google.

Mortality rates as percentages are not linear. They decrease exponentially. That’s means as known cases starts to drastically increase (primarily due to ramped up testing and awareness) the mortality rate will decrease (stronger immune systems beating the virus and treatment methods improving).

Truth be told, the real number of Covid-19 cases is probably in the millions if not tens of millions already but in those cases it only presented as a mild flu. So people didn’t go to the doctor, they didn’t get tested. That would bring the mortality rate drastically down.

I travel internationally for a living and got sick 4 weeks ago. I had flu like symptoms and went to the doctor. I tested negative for flu so they just gave me a round of antibiotics and sent me home. I ended up sleeping for 24hrs straight and it was the worst I’ve ever felt in my life. Knowing what we know now, what do you think was wrong with me? Pretty sure I know.

I live with my girlfriend and she caught whatever I had. It barely bothered her, she just took some theraflu and worked from home for a couple days.

Do you believe the U.S. is "average" in health care? It is (apparently) more contagious than the "regular" flu (perhaps by a factor of 3). It is (apparently) more deadly by a factor of..? Yet to be seen. I feel we've reached the "if it'll save but one life" point with some of these measures. That's is then a completely different kind of dangerous...
That's debatable. But, I think the main concern is this, if hospitals get overwhelmed, the overall death rate goes up. Heard of what's going on down in Albany? Phoebe Putney has had a large outbreak, and they've gone through almost 6 months of supplies in a week.... Now apply that to a major Atlanta or New York hospital.

Do you believe the U.S. is "average" in health care? It is (apparently) more contagious than the "regular" flu (perhaps by a factor of 3). It is (apparently) more deadly by a factor of..? Yet to be seen. I feel we've reached the "if it'll save but one life" point with some of these measures. That's is then a completely different kind of dangerous...

The average infection rate for the flu in the US averages between 5 - 20% in any given year. So far in countries that have widely tested, the infection rate for the kung flu is not near that high. Iceland for example. "Those have yielded 48 positive results (0.86%) indicating that the prevelance of the virus is modest among the general population." https://www.government.is/news/arti...ng-of-general-population-in-Iceland-underway/

I believe one aspect many overlook is the medical care required for this virus is on top of existing forecasted medical care. I'm all for privatized health care. One consideration for privatized health care is profitability. This means across the entire supply chain of medical care (supplies, beds, ICU's, doctors, nurses, first responders) you have to meet forecasted demand, with some surge capacity, and still remain profitable. Call it lean logistics.

We've built up resistance to some strains and there are vaccines available. However, COVID-19 is a totally new animal.

There are 5,803,000 people in the metro Atlanta area. Let's assume one in ten catch COVID-19 each month for the next six months. Assume best case 1.3% (US) fatality rate and worst case 4% (Georgia) fatality rate.

5,803,000 x 10% x 1.3% x 6 months
5,803,000 x 10% x 4% x 6 months

45,263 and 139,272 deaths in the metro Atlanta area in the next six months. It's just a quick napkin analysis. But I think you have to start somewhere.

The average infection rate for the flu in the US averages between 5 - 20% in any given year. So far in countries that have widely tested, the infection rate for the kung flu is not near that high. Iceland for example. "Those have yielded 48 positive results (0.86%) indicating that the prevelance of the virus is modest among the general population." https://www.government.is/news/arti...ng-of-general-population-in-Iceland-underway/

Yep. But you fail to mention we've been building up immunity to type B flu for decades. We have vaccines for existing type A and B flu. We have nothing for COVID-19, a new type A strain of flu.

Now pile the new cases of COVID-19 on top of existing (forecasted) cases and you just might overwhelm our medical care ability.

Yep. But you fail to mention we've been building up immunity to type B flu for decades. We have vaccines for existing type A and B flu. We have nothing for COVID-19, a new type A strain of flu.

Now pile the new cases of COVID-19 on top of existing (forecasted) cases and you just might overwhelm our medical care ability.

I failed to mention it because it had no bearing on what I was discussing. The infection rate for kung flu is no where near as high as has been suggested.

So we will now have more cases of kung flu. But we also have people taking extra precautions which may greatly reduce those getting infected by the regular flu. Never mind the fact that we are now getting out of the normal flu season so there will be less cases as well. So there may not be an overwhelming of the healthcare system other than initially because of all the panic that has been created.

We can play what if scenarios all day long, but right now the infection rate is no where near the 40 - 70% they were suggesting initially.

I believe one aspect many overlook is the medical care required for this virus is on top of existing forecasted medical care. I'm all for privatized health care. One consideration for privatized health care is profitability. This means across the entire supply chain of medical care (supplies, beds, ICU's, doctors, nurses, first responders) you have to meet forecasted demand, with some surge capacity, and still remain profitable. Call it lean logistics.

We've built up resistance to some strains and there are vaccines available. However, COVID-19 is a totally new animal.

There are 5,803,000 people in the metro Atlanta area. Let's assume one in ten catch COVID-19 each month for the next six months. Assume best case 1.3% (US) fatality rate and worst case 4% (Georgia) fatality rate.

5,803,000 x 10% x 1.3% x 6 months
5,803,000 x 10% x 4% x 6 months

45,263 and 139,272 deaths in the metro Atlanta area in the next six months. It's just a quick napkin analysis. But I think you have to start somewhere.

Your infection rate is to high based on facts on the ground. Way to high.

Back
Top Bottom