• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What do you rub on your butt?

Basic spices I use for a home made rub: 1/4 cup paprika, 1/8 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup turbinado sugar, 1/8 cup kosher salt, 2 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp dried tyme, 1/2 tsp dried oregano, 1 tsp chili powder, 1/2 tsp chipotle powder. Substitute as needed, play around with the mix until you create your own recipe. A mustard smear up front will hold the rub mixture and add flavor. Good Luck and good eats!

Butt rub is my favorite store bought rub. Other times I start with Steven Raichlen’s basic BBQ rub that you can probably make from what you have on hand then add twists to it with anything else you have. I don’t wrap unless in a pinch when I am behind on a planned dinner time and the stall is taking too long. I usually try to allocate 2 hours per pound if going 225 and spritz with apple cider or a vinegar/apple cider mop sauce, but have gone as high as 300 with still good results and cutting down a little time.

Can't give you amounts, but:

Smoked Paprika
Granulated Garlic
Salt & Pepper
Brown Sugar
Cumin
Chili Powder

Mix together and taste it. If you like the taste at this point, rub your butt and go for it. If you want to add more of a particular spice or add something else, do so before rubbing your butt. You really can't go wrong. Worse case scenario, you don't like the bark, it's not going to penetrate the inner meat. For that you have to inject...

Back
Top Bottom