• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What can you tell me about my Arisaka?

Hello,
I recently stumbled on a Japanese Type 38 for a price I just couldn't pass up. I don't know a thing about them other than they were used by the Japanese in WWII and it fires the 6.5x50 cartridge. What can you tell me about my rifle?

One of the more interesting things is that the butt plate has been painted orange. Is there any significance to that?

The rifling is surprisingly good but man was the bore filthy! After over 20 patches using Hoppes and copper solvent it is now respectably clean. I'd obviously like to go out and shoot it and I know the rifle has been fired (and I think a lot) but how would I know if it's safe to go out and shoot now?

I have included pics below of some markings and whatnot. I understand the mum is significant. Why do some rifles have the mum but has been removed from other rifles?

Is there anything else that I should look for as far as markings or features to tell me what arsenal it was produced at?

Please let me know what you think and thanks much in advance!

View attachment 2757085
View attachment 2757086
View attachment 2757087
View attachment 2757088
The Type 38 actually was in production before the First World War. This, however is an interwar/second world war example.

Unfortunately it's near impossible to tell years of production on these. First Type 38 production was by Koishikawa, yours is Nagoya. Early examples had no front sight protectors, yours does. Nagoya shows roughly 1923 to 1933.

Back
Top Bottom